Purify internet, censor comments on news websites, says MPMay 10th, 2012 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) A Congress MP Thursday called for internet to be “purified” and “abusive” and “filthy” comments on celebrities and politicians, often found in the comments sections of online news websites, censored.
Speaking during zero hour in the Rajya Sabha, Shantaram Naik, a member from Goa, cited “vile” comments, such as the ones below a news item about Jharkhand Chief Minister Arjun Munda’s helicopter crash-landing at Ranchi Wednesday, as reason enough for “purifying” internet.
“When any news appears on the website of a daily, readers are allowed to post their comments and it is unfortunate that such comments are perhaps not edited or censored and are allowed to appear below the news-items for anyone surfing the net to read,” he said, adding that most comments were “abusive, filthy and derogatory”.
Naik singled out three comments from below a news website, in response to a news item about Munda’s copter crash landing, as illustrative of the internet menace, which, according to him, needed “purifying”.
“I would like to hear this news of everyday a chopper going down with a politician with no survivors except the crew….!!!”
“Provide a defective copter to all such politicians! We have got a way to save us from them….”
“Oh no copter is dead but CM is alive IJ Bad luck copter….”
“All the high-profile national and international personalities are abused day in and day out, but if politicians or personalities abroad do not object it, so it be. But we have to purify the system and take appropriate steps in our country,” Naik said, adding that if such comments were published in print, they would have “caused riots and ugly situations”.
- Munda, wife discharged from hospital - May 17, 2012
- Gadkari meets Munda in hospital - May 13, 2012
- Munda: I am fine, will soon get back to work - May 12, 2012
- Injured Munda to convene cabinet meeting May 17 - May 14, 2012
- Munda recovering in hospital after chopper crash (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Injured Munda discharging duties from bed - Jun 04, 2012
- Five reasons why India can't censor the Internet (Comment) - Dec 07, 2011
- Russians, Israelis have 'occupied' Goa's coastal villages: Congress - Feb 21, 2012
- Asaram Bapu survives chopper crash, probe ordered - Aug 29, 2012
- Foreign mafias creating socio-economic chaos in Goa: Naik - Apr 27, 2012
- Five killed in Ukraine plane crash - Jun 10, 2012
- Hot air balloon lands in Bath city centre - Jun 06, 2012
- Two Ugandan military helicopters crash-land in Kenya - Aug 13, 2012
- Chopper mishap: Bedridden Munda sits up for first time - Jun 24, 2012
- UK council workers visit Facebook more than their own website! - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: bad luck, chief minister, chopper, copter crash, crash landing, goa, helicopter crash, international personalities, mp, New Delhi, news item, news items, news websites, politician, politicians, rajya sabha, ranchi, riots, shantaram, ugly situations