Puri sees bath festivalJune 26th, 2010 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Puri, June 26 (IANS) The annual bath festival of the three deities at the temple town of Puri took place Saturday with thousands witnessing the event.
The deities of Lord Jagannath, his elder brother Balabhadra and sister Subhadra were taken out of the temple in a ceremonial procession to the snana mandap - a bathing platform in the outer enclosure of the temple.
The Snana Yatra involves bathing of the deities with 108 pitchers of perfumed water drawn from a temple well. It takes place ahead of the annual chariot festival or Ratha Yatra.
Ratha Yatra is the grand culmination of a series of celebrations involving the deities. This year the festival will be held July 13-21.
The festival marks the annual journey of the three deities from the 12th century Jagannath temple, 56 km from here, in decorated wooden chariots.
- Lakhs witness deities' bathing ritual in Puri - Jun 15, 2011
- Thousands of devotees take part in bathing festival of deities at Puri's Jagannath temple - Jun 26, 2010
- Orissa town celebrates return festival of deities - Jul 11, 2011
- Puri Ratha Yatra preparations gain momentum in Odisha - Jun 11, 2012
- Devotees converge on Puri for Jagannath festival - Jun 29, 2012
- Puri Rath Yatra chariots reach destination - Jun 22, 2012
- Lakhs witness Rath Yatra in Puri (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Lakhs converge on Puri for Rath Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Sea of pilgrims at Puri for annual chariot festival - Jul 03, 2011
- 62 special trains for Puri Rath Yatra - Jun 20, 2012
- Security in place for Puri's Jagannath return festival - Jul 20, 2010
- Lakhs converge in Puri for Jagannath return festival - Jul 21, 2010
- Lakhs converge in Puri for Jagannath Rath Yatra - Jul 13, 2010
- Mamata inaugurates Ratha Yatra - Jun 21, 2012
- Woman dies in stampede during Jagannath Rath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010