Punjab wants central government to allow wheat exportMay 19th, 2012 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 19 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Saturday asked the central government to allow export of wheat from the state.
Talking to media at Rakhra village in Patiala district, 100 km from here, Badal said Punjab was facing a problem of storage of wheat owing to bumper crop this year.
He said the state, which is the biggest producer of wheat, wants exports to be allowed to bail out the beleaguered Punjabi farmers already reeling under debt of nearly Rs.35,000 crore.
The chief minister said he had already taken up this issue with union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar several times but he had not got any response on this.
Badal pointed out that whenever there is an acute shortage of food grains in the country, Punjab is always at the forefront of contributing to the national food grain kitty.
“However, Punjab and its hard working farming community have never got their due due to the flawed policies of the centre,” he alleged.
Over 125 lakh tonnes of wheat has already been procured in Punjab this year. This is much above the target of 110 lakh tonnes set by the state this year.
- Punjab moots pension for farmers - May 16, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure record 200 lakh tonnes of wheat - May 11, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
- India's biggest grain warehouse in Punjab soon - Dec 10, 2011
- Where to stock bumper harvest? Punjab, Haryana in quandary - May 17, 2012
- Punjab wheat procurement crosses 100 lakh tonnes - May 04, 2012
- Centre conspiring to ruin agriculture in Punjab: Badal - Jul 27, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana head for bumper wheat crop - May 11, 2011
- Foodgrain pile up scare in Punjab - Apr 04, 2012
- Punjab wheat procurement crosses 125 lakh tonnes - May 18, 2012
- Centre's bonus on wheat unjustified: Badal - Apr 16, 2011
- 'Allow wheat exports to Pakistan, CIS countries' - Apr 24, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana near 150 lakh tonne wheat procurement-mark - May 02, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana make it a wheat bumper crop season - May 17, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana paddy procurement begins Saturday - Sep 30, 2011
Tags: acute shortage, agriculture minister, badal, bumper crop, central government, chief minister, farmers, farming community, food grain, food grains, forefront, kitty, national food, several times, sharad pawar, storage, target, tonnes