Punjab VIPs security stepped up after BKI terrorists’ arrestDecember 25th, 2011 - 10:48 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 25 (IANS) Punjab Police has reviewed and stepped up the security of VIP politicians in the state following a communication from Delhi Police that a module of the Khalistani terror group, Babbar Khalsa International (BKI), was out to target them in the runup to next month’s Punjab assembly elections.
The Delhi Police communication follows the arrest of two BKI terrorists, one from Delhi and one from Ropar district of Punjab last week.
The BKI operatives, Sarabpreet and Jaswinder Singh, in their early 30s, were arrested by the Delhi Police’ Special Cell Thursday. The Delhi Police claimed that these operatives were planning strikes in Delhi and Punjab by reviving the BKI modules.
“We have received some inputs about the BKI men arrested by the Delhi Police. We have reviewed and stepped up security of some VIP’s who will be actively campaigning in the forthcoming Punjab assembly polls,” a senior Punjab Police officer told IANS here Sunday.
Among the VIPs whose security has been stepped up include Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Deputy Chief Minister and Shiromani Akali Dal president Sukhbir Singh Badal and former chief minister and Punjab Congress president Amarinder Singh. Others in this category include heads of religious sects based in Punjab.
Most of these VIPs already have the highest Z-category security cover.
The Delhi Police have taken the two BKI operatives in police remand on the ground that they needed to be further interrogated and would be taken to Punjab and Haryana for seizure of arms and nabbing other accused. Police said that the suspected terrorists needed to be confronted with the material recovered from their laptop.
The two terrorists had planned to assassinate three religious leaders in Punjab and Haryana and some Punjab politicians.
The module was commanded to assassinate three religious leaders: Ram Rahim of Sirsa (Haryana), Piara Singh Bhaniara of Dhamiana (Punjab) and Ashutosh of Ludhiana (Punjab). Besides, the terrorists were also tasked to assassinate some political leaders of Punjab during the assembly elections.
“The operatives were waiting for a consignment of rifles and assault rocket launchers for striking at the religious and political leaders, as they are under heavy security cover,” the Delhi Police claimed.
- Two Babbar Khalsa terrorists arrested (second lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- BKI terrorists sent to custody till Jan 2 (third lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Babbar Khalsa plotting revival, big strike: Delhi Police - Jan 01, 2012
- Two Babbar Khalsa terrorists arrested (Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- Question mark over hanging of BKI terrorist Rajoana (Roundup) - Mar 26, 2012
- France-based Babbar members fund militants: police - Mar 21, 2010
- Badal to meet president to seek clemency for Rajoana - Mar 28, 2012
- Assassin on death row wants to be baptized a Sikh - Dec 05, 2010
- Three Babbar Khalsa International terrorists arrested - Mar 26, 2010
- Now Chandigarh VVIPs to 'secure' their securitymen - Nov 14, 2011
- Four Babbar Khalsa terrorists arrested (Lead) - Mar 26, 2010
- SGPC wants president to grant clemency to Sikh terrorist - Mar 26, 2012
- Sikh terror outfits seeking volunteers from US, India: Report - Feb 22, 2010
- Babbar Khalsa terrorists attacked, four arrested - Nov 11, 2011
- British police to probe Punjab murder - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: amarinder singh, ashutosh, assassinate three, babbar khalsa, congress president, delhi police, deputy chief minister, jaswinder singh, operatives, piara, police remand, punjab assembly elections, ram rahim, religious leaders, religious sects, runup, sirsa haryana, sukhbir singh badal, terror group, vips