Punjab to name district after Bhagat SinghSeptember 27th, 2008 - 8:02 pm ICT by IANS
Khatkar Kalan (Punjab), Sep 27 (IANS) Honouring freedom fighter Bhagat Singh, the Punjab government Saturday announced that a district in the state will be named after him.The announcement was made by Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal at a function at this ancestral village of the martyr to mark his 101st birth anniversary. Badal said Nawanshahr district would be renamed as Shaheed Bhagat Singh Nagar.
The headquarters of the district, Nawanshahr town, is located 100 km from Chandigarh.
Badal said the requisite formalities of issuing orders for renaming boards of the offices, milestones, signages in the entire district would be issued within a week.
- In poll warm-up, all roads lead to Bhagat Singh village - Mar 22, 2011
- Manpreet Badal launches own political party - Mar 27, 2011
- Thousands turn up for rallies at Bhagat Singh's village - Mar 23, 2011
- Manpreet Badal to launch his party Sunday - Mar 26, 2011
- Bhagat Singh's commemorative coin sparks a row - Sep 27, 2008
- Parkash Singh Badal pitted against brother for Lambi seat - Dec 31, 2011
- Manpreet Badal's party to focus on jobs, training - Mar 21, 2011
- Estranged Badal kin quits as legislator, to launch party (Lead) - Mar 26, 2011
- Bhagat Singh memorial in native village gets go ahead - Jan 30, 2009
- Punjab results decimate Manpreet Badal, PPP - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress apology sought for naming martyrs' castes in Sandesh - Apr 12, 2011
- Political conferences highlight of Punjab's religious fair - Jan 14, 2011
- Army man arrested for supplying arms to gangsters - Sep 11, 2010
- Bhagat Singh's centenary: Punjab spends Rs.3 crore in a day - Jan 06, 2009
- Congress to go alone in Punjab assembly polls - Jul 15, 2011