Punjab to give boost to cooperative societies in 2009December 29th, 2008 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 29 (IANS) To give a boost to cooperative societies in Punjab, the state government has decided to celebrate the year 2009 as the ‘Year of Cooperatives’.”We are aiming for a complete overhaul of the system and give more autonomy to these (cooperative) societies. We have plans to start various developmental schemes for the cooperative societies in 2009,” Minister of Cooperation Kanwaljit Singh told reporters here Monday.
He added that over five million people were associated with the state’s cooperative societies. “We are starting a special enrolment drive, targeting an increase of 25 percent in the membership in 2009.”
There are over 15,000 cooperatives in Punjab that include around 4,500 primary agriculture cooperative societies (PACs) and around 3,000 milk societies.
“The PACs working in the villages would be converted into multipurpose societies in the next five years. We will invest Rs.220 million for their upgradation in the first phase. This will generate 100,000 jobs in rural Punjab,” Kanwaljit said.
The state cooperative department is also launching a project for the replacement of incandescent bulbs in the households with energy-efficient compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs).
“We will replace the existing lamps with CFLs in a phased manner. In the first phase, we have identified 60 villages for this purpose. We will supply the CFLs through a central agency to ensure the right price to the customers,” the minister said.
- Tamil Nadu bans incandescent bulbs to save power - Aug 20, 2010
- Delhi offers concession on LED bulbs - Jul 20, 2012
- Compact fluorescent energy saving lamp 'better than incandescent bulbs' - Oct 23, 2010
- LED bulbs to sell cheap in Delhi (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Campaign to promote fluorescent lamps - Jul 07, 2011
- He dispels darkness through solar lamps (With photo) - Aug 20, 2012
- Chandigarh to launch project to popularise CFLs - Feb 17, 2010
- Energy saving light bulbs may be cancer causing - Apr 21, 2011
- Karnataka mulls mandatory use of CFL bulbs - Feb 28, 2011
- Energy efficient CFLs not as bright as claimed - Jan 12, 2010
- Energy-consuming light bulbs to go out in Hong Kong - Aug 15, 2011
- Indian American leads project to make CFLs more efficient - Apr 08, 2009
- India to install 400 million power saver lamps - Sep 21, 2010
- Karunanidhi orders flying squads to detect power thefts - Oct 05, 2010
- Mercury makes eco-bulbs 'a health hazard for babies and pregnant' - Dec 23, 2010