Punjab student commits suicide after harassment by classmatesNovember 25th, 2010 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Nov 25 (IANS) A Class 11 student from Jagraon town of Punjab committed suicide Thursday, a few days after he was allegedly beaten and harassed by his classmates.
The student, Paras Mani, poured kerosene and set himself on fire Thursday morning, police said. He was rushed to hospital where doctors declared him dead. Jagraon is 150 km from here.
Following a complaint from the victim’s father, Punjab Police have registered a case of abetment to suicide against five students who had allegedly harassed him.
The victim’s father said his son was beaten up, humiliated and harassed by these boys a few days ago after a brawl. The accused had stripped the victim during the fight, which made him feel humiliated and depressed, the father complained.
Police said the accused students would be arrested soon.
- Class 7 boy commits suicide, four colleagues detained - Apr 07, 2011
- Cancer patient commits suicide - Aug 18, 2012
- For being a topper, engineering student pays with life - Feb 27, 2012
- Four arrested in connection with suicide of 17-year-old girl - Sep 14, 2012
- Nepal's ex-crown prince arrested, charged with bid to kill (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Police hunt for Facebook lover for girlfriend's suicide - Sep 22, 2011
- Rape victim succumbs to burn injuries - Apr 18, 2012
- Soccer violence: 12 African students jailed for 14 days (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- Rouvanjit suicide case: La Martiniere principal arrested - Oct 04, 2010
- Court confirms bail of La Martiniere principal, teachers - Feb 04, 2011
- Ousted Nepal crown prince in police custody after gun brawl (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Woman sets herself ablaze over dowry harassment - Jun 25, 2011
- CBI probe demanded into Bihar girl's suicide - Sep 06, 2012
- Moral policing and media overzealousness cost a young life (Punjab Newsletter) - Sep 14, 2012
- Probe Dana Sangma's death, family urges CBI (Lead, superseding previous story) - May 18, 2012