Punjab seeks security packageMay 3rd, 2011 - 8:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 3 (IANS) The Punjab government Tuesday urged the centre to sanction a special security package for the border state to enable it to meet the new challenge of international terrorism.
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, who is also Punjab’s home minister, said the state has urged the union home ministry to sanction special security package to enable it to meet the new challenge of international terrorism and to check drug smuggling.
The minister was addressing an official function at Fatehgarh Sahib, 50 km from here.
Badal said the security package has become imperative due to developments in neighbouring Pakistan in the last few days, necessitating a fresh look at the anti-terrorism security apparatus.
He was referring to the killing of international terrorist leader Osama bin Laden in Pakistan’s Abbottabad city by US forces Sunday night.
Badal also said that the state government had upgraded the police infrastructure with faster vehicles, communications equipment and modern weaponry from its own limited sources.
Punjab had seen a bloody phase of terrorism between 1981 and 1995, leaving thousands of people and security personnel dead.
The state shares an over 550-km international border with Pakistan.
- Sukhbir Badal asks centre to check drug smuggling - Sep 03, 2012
- SGPGC's Sri Guru Granth Sahib university launched - Jul 25, 2011
- Punjab creates separate cadre of teachers for border areas - Aug 03, 2012
- Opposition attacks government on NCTC, PM reaches out (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Punjab asks central government to undo 'injustices' - Feb 01, 2011
- Akali Dal announces 48 names for Punjab assembly polls - Dec 23, 2011
- Sikh 'Fateh March' enters Punjab - May 12, 2010
- Babbar Khalsa plotting revival, big strike: Delhi Police - Jan 01, 2012
- Enhance vigil on international border, Punjab urges centre - Jul 30, 2010
- Day after win, Badals pray at Golden Temple - Mar 07, 2012
- Will not allow terrorists to regroup: Badal - May 01, 2010
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Parkash Singh Badal set to again be Punjab chief minister (Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- Punjab seeks BARC help for uranium problem in water - Jul 11, 2012
- Akali Dal-BJP create history in Punjab, surprise Congress (Roundup) - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: abbottabad, border state, chandigarh, communications equipment, deputy chief minister, fresh look, home minister, international border, international terrorism, new challenge, punjab government, security apparatus, security package, security personnel, special security, state shares, sukhbir singh badal, terrorism security, terrorist leader, union home ministry