Punjab Police book Rajasthan cop for smugglingMay 23rd, 2011 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Patiala, May 23 (IANS) A Rajasthan Police constable has been arrested by the Punjab Police here on charges of smuggling opium, police said Monday.
According to the police, the accused, Ganpat Ram, was arrested from near a police check-post here, around 60 km away from the state capital Chandigarh, late on Sunday night and six kg of opium was recovered from his car.
“We had laid a regular check-post here to do routine frisking of vehicles. On seeing the policemen, Ganpat took a U-turn and tried to flee in his car. We got suspicious and started chasing him. On intercepting him, we recovered opium that is worth over Rs. 450,000 from his car,” Gurpreet Singh, the investigative officer of the case, told IANS Monday.
“During the interrogation, Ganpat confessed of smuggling the contraband from Rajasthan to Punjab. We have booked him under various sections of the Indian Penal code. Our investigation is on and we are expecting to make more arrests in this case,” he added.
- Man held with 23 kg opium in Punjab - Jul 11, 2011
- Three drug traffickers held - Jul 11, 2011
- Police seize 2 kg heroin, 1 arrested - Sep 15, 2010
- Over 900 kg poppy husk recovered in Punjab - Dec 17, 2010
- Two held in Punjab for illegally carrying jewellery - Dec 12, 2010
- Four Punjab cops booked for extortion - Mar 07, 2011
- Punjab Police arrest nine robbers - Jun 24, 2011
- Punjab Police recover 70 kg gold from car - Jul 27, 2010
- Disco-loving cops colour Chandigarh crime scene - Dec 14, 2011
- Punjab arms dealer held for smuggling Chinese pistols - Jul 22, 2012
- Counterfeit currency seized in Punjab - Jul 10, 2011
- Pakistani intruder held in Punjab - Jul 19, 2011
- Three held with drugs worth Rs.40 crore - Jul 10, 2011
- 10 kg heroin seized in Punjab, 3 held - Feb 02, 2011
- Smuggler arrested with 14 kg heroin in Punjab - Jan 11, 2011