Punjab Police arrest two in fake currency scamJuly 28th, 2010 - 1:48 pm ICT by IANS
Sangrur (Punjab), July 28 (IANS) An inter-state fake currency racket has been busted with the arrest of two people from Punjab’s Sangrur town, police said Wednesday.
According to the police, fake currency with a face value of Rs.15 lakh was recovered late Tuesday from the accused, identified as Jasvir Singh alias “Jassi” and Akshay Gupta.
“The notes are in the denomination of Rs.1,000 and Rs.500. Jagtar, the kingpin of the gang was running this illegal network through his mobile phone. We will seek a warrant to interrogate him,” Lakhwinder Singh, Sangrur superintendent of police, told IANS.
“We have also recovered three mobile phones from the accused and are verifying their call details. Investigation is on and we are expecting more arrests and recovery in the coming days,” he added.
According to police sources, Jasvir received the fake currency from Sarwan Rai and Pinki Devi (both residents of Bihar) after paying Rs.750,000. It is suspected this fake currency came from Pakistan through the Wagah border in Punjab.
A few days back, Punjab police had arrested two people from Jalandhar and had recovered fake currency with the face value of over Rs.150,000 from them.
Sangrur town is around 100 km from Chandigarh.
- Six arrested for betting - Mar 30, 2011
- Three held in Punjab for circulating fake currency - Oct 30, 2010
- Counterfeit currency: Former defence official arrested - Jun 13, 2011
- Two GNLA linkmen held in Meghalaya - Jul 20, 2012
- Bangladeshi in fake currency racket nabbed in Bengal - Feb 17, 2012
- Man held with counterfeit currency in south Delhi - Dec 31, 2010
- Fake currency seized in Rajasthan - Jun 16, 2012
- Two held in Himachal, fake currency seized - Oct 11, 2010
- Fake US currency seized in Punjab - Feb 15, 2011
- Man arrested for faking currency - Jan 14, 2011
- Cricket betting racket busted, one held in Chandigarh - Mar 07, 2011
- Fake currency seized, three held in Punjab - Oct 29, 2010
- Counterfeit currency seized in Punjab - Jul 10, 2011
- Three held with fake currency in Rajasthan's Bharatpur - Jul 02, 2012
- BSF seize contraband, fake currency in Punjab - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: akshay, alias, bihar, face value, fake currency racket, gupta, illegal network, inter state, jalandhar, jassi, kingpin, lakh, pinki, police arrest, police sources, rs 1, rs 500, three mobile phones, town police, wagah border