Punjab NRI panel asks police to trace runaway husbandMay 16th, 2012 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 16 (IANS) The Punjab Non-Resident Indian (NRI) Commission Wednesday issued a notice to the Jalandhar police commissioner and sought a report within three weeks about a runaway husband who allegedly duped a New Zealand-based NRI woman.
The NRI Commission issued the notice after taking suo moto notice of media reports about a complaint filed by Nileshni Reddy, an NRI woman, against her husband Ravi Sidhu alias Amarjit Singh Sidhu, resident of village Chotta Saipur in Jalandhar district, who has vanished without trace now.
The NRI woman had filed her complaint with the NRI police station in Jalandhar.
She complained that she had met Ravi Sidhu through a matrimonial website and they got married in August last year at a temple in the presence of Ravi’s father.
The woman said she had to go back to New Zealand after some time for her visa extension and returned to India January this year. She said that she, with her husband, was staying in a hotel in New Delhi since then and that he took her to his family house in the village only once.
She alleged that Ravi went missing April 26 this year from the New Delhi hotel. When she contacted his family, they told her that they had already snapped all ties with him.
The NRI Commission has directed the Inspector General of Police -NRI affairs to supervise the investigation in this matter.
- 381 wives of NRIs seek government help - Mar 15, 2012
- Punjab's runaway NRI grooms lose passports - Jul 06, 2011
- Booklets provide guidance to women dumped by NRI spouses - Feb 03, 2012
- Odisha official arrested in US - Jul 26, 2012
- Three held for forcing woman to strip - Mar 21, 2012
- Woman commits suicide with two kids, lover - Jul 25, 2012
- Punjab's passport office to keep check on 'holiday marriages' - Feb 07, 2011
- 331 complaints by women against NRI husbands - Jan 21, 2010
- Woman accuses Bengal cop of misbehaving with her - May 17, 2012
- Woman in Kolkata alleges rape by tenants - May 19, 2012
- Woman harassed by panchayat kills herself - Apr 30, 2011
- Spa employee arrested for molesting NRI - Jan 20, 2012
- American woman goes to Delhi women's panel against Mallya - May 19, 2012
- 46 complaints against NRI husbands in two years: Minister - Aug 09, 2012
- Missing from Haryana, woman found dead in Punjab - May 04, 2011