Punjab legislator’s nephew kills Jalandhar hotelier (Lead)April 22nd, 2011 - 12:54 am ICT by IANS
Jalandhar, April 21 (IANS) The nephew of a legislator of the ruling Akali Dal in Punjab is on the run after allegedly shooting dead a leading hotelier from this city, police said Thursday.
Police are still trying to nab Ram Simran Singh Makkar alias Prince for the death of
Gurkirat Sekhon, 28, who died of gun shots fired from close range at an eating joint near Model Town locality in this city late Wednesday night. Prince is the nephew of Sarabjit Makkar, Akali Dal legislator from Adampur town, 20 km from here.
Prince, who is also a councillor with the Jalandhar civic body, escaped and is on the run along with three of his accomplices.
“We are investigating the matter. So far we have not arrested the accused and our hunt is on. Police teams are raiding various places to nab them,” investigating officer I. Singh told IANS late Thursday.
The police said old enmity between two groups of youngsters could be the reason for the murder.
A case has been registered against Prince and three others, including a lawyer and a businessman who were accompanying him at the time of the attack.
“The murder has been committed by Prince Makkar. The youths had an altercation, following which Prince fired on the victim and fled from the spot,” Superintendent of Police Surinder Kalia told IANS.
Kalia said that raids were being conducted by the police at various places to nab the guilty.
The victim belonged to a leading business and land-owning family of Jalandhar. His family owns the Sekhon Grand Hotel near the Civil Lines area of the city.
In the meantime, Sarabjit Makkar said his nephew and the victim were friends since childhood and their families have close relations.
“We are also trying to contact Prince to convince him to surrender,” said Sarabjit.
- Punjab legislator's nephew kills Jalandhar hotelier - Apr 21, 2011
- Two aides of Punjab hotelier's shooter surrender - Apr 22, 2011
- Legislator's nephew, accused of hotelier's murder, surrenders (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Facebook, candlelight vigil: Punjab city wakes up to a murder - Apr 26, 2011
- Family of murdered Jalandhar hotelier demands justice - Apr 22, 2011
- Jalandhar hotelier's son shot dead by nephew of Akali Dal MLA - Apr 21, 2011
- Badal takes Akali law-maker to BJP minister to apologise - Jun 23, 2009
- Disco bouncers arrested for thrashing legislator's son - Dec 15, 2009
- Missing from Haryana, woman found dead in Punjab - May 04, 2011
- Man held for killing girlfriend - May 14, 2011
- Akali Dal-BJP sweep Punjab civic polls (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Congress embarrassed after drubbing by Akalis (Punjab Newsletter) - Jun 15, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- Thousands attend Surinder Badal's cremation - May 25, 2011
Tags: accomplices, altercation, city police, civic body, close range, close relations, councillor, enmity, friends since childhood, gun shots, kalia, legislator, makkar, model town, nephew, night prince, police teams, sekhon, simran singh, surinder