Punjab issues fresh guidelines to curb ‘honour killings’June 9th, 2011 - 11:34 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 9 (IANS) The Punjab government Thursday issued fresh directions and guidelines to senior district officers to curb the growing incidents of “honour killings” in the state, an official said.
A state government spokesman said that the issue of compulsory registration of all marriages is also under active consideration of the government.
The directions have been sent to all deputy commissioners, magistrates, senior superintendents of police and commissioners of police for strict compliance, the spokesman said.
According to the spokesman, the threatening attitude of the parents and relatives in the wake of inter-caste marriages by their wards and subsequently disruptions in the law and order situation would be dealt with firmly.
“Security would be extended to such couples till they feel safe. Protection homes have been set up in all districts following orders of the Punjab and Haryana High Court,” the spokesman added.
He said that the Protection Centres have been set up to facilitate the young married couples with boarding and lodging for a period of six weeks after their marriage.
Mediation and counseling centres have also been set up in districts to counsel the families of runaway couples to reconcile if the couple gets married.
–Indo-asian News Service
- Punjab issues directive to curb honour killings - Mar 18, 2011
- Meghalaya's married job seekers need to give wedlock proof - Aug 08, 2011
- IFS woman's inter-caste marriage puts family under threat - Nov 02, 2011
- Two killed in train-truck collision, major accident averted - Jul 30, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 147 lakh tonnes of paddy - Nov 08, 2011
- 83 couples get security in Haryana's Hisar - Jan 08, 2011
- Spate of honour killings shakes up Punjab - Jul 14, 2011
- Issue orders to check khap panchayats, SC urged - Jul 16, 2012
- Power-short Punjab changes office timings, ban ACs use - Jul 29, 2012
- Punjab asks all officers to file property returns - Jul 04, 2012
- Haryana khap asks couple to end marriage, probe on - Apr 20, 2011
- Punjab asks officials to publicise ban of affidavits - Jul 03, 2011
- Court asks police to produce illegally confined girl - Jun 22, 2012
- Punish Kolkata cops, Rizwanur's mother tells apex court (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
- Punjab dissolves all improvement trusts - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: asian news, caste, compulsory registration, deputy commissioners, disruptions, government spokesman, honour killings, indo, law and order, magistrates, marriage mediation, married couples, punjab and haryana high court, punjab government, six weeks, spokesman said that, state government, strict compliance, vd, wards