Punjab, India celebrate GurparabNovember 2nd, 2009 - 11:24 am ICT by IANS
Amritsar/Chandigarh, Nov 2 (IANS) Millions of devotees lined up at gurdwaras across Punjab and elsewhere in the country early Monday morning to celebrate Gurparab — the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev, the founder of Sikhism.
A heavy rush of devotees were seen outside the Golden Temple in Amritsar as people came to pay obeisance.
Hundreds of other gurdwaras in cities, towns and villages also saw a stream of devotees since morning.
Guru Nanak Dev was born in 1469 at Nankana Sahib (now in Pakistan’s Punjab province).
Nearly 2,000 devotees from India have gone to Pakistan to pay obeisance at the Nankana Sahib gurdwara, despite the advice of the home ministry to avoid going to Pakistan in view of the deteriorating security situation there.
Langars (community kitchens) were being organised Monday at all gurdwaras across Punjab and along major highways to serve food to people.
- Punjab celebrates Gurpurab - Nov 21, 2010
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Prayers, devotion mark Gurpurab in Punjab, Haryana - Nov 10, 2011
- 3,000 Sikhs to visit Pakistan on Baisakhi - Apr 04, 2012
- Gurpurab festivities begin across Punjab - Nov 13, 2008
- Chief minister cleans shoes, utensils as Punjab celebrates Gurpurab (Lead, changing dateline) - Nov 13, 2008
- Pakistan Gurdwara invitation for Guru Nanak Dev 541st birth anniversary - Oct 22, 2010
- Sikhs converge at Gurdwara Taran Taran Sahib for Guru Arjan Dev's death anniversary - Jun 16, 2010
- Sikh pilgrims visit Pakistan - Nov 09, 2011
- Sikh pilgrims leave for Pakistan to attend Guru Nanak's death anniversary - Sep 21, 2009
- Sikhs appeal to Pak to ease visa norms for pilgrims - Mar 03, 2011
- Birth anniversary of Guru Ram Dass being celebrated in Golden Temple - Oct 09, 2010
- 350 Sikhs reach Pakistan for Ranjit Singh anniversary - Jun 22, 2012
- Hindus greet Sikhs on Guru Gobind Singh birthday - Jan 01, 2011
- Indian Sikh delegation in Pakistan calls for Kartarpur Sahib Corridor - Jun 08, 2010
Tags: birth anniversary, community kitchens, deteriorating security situation, devotees, early monday morning, golden temple in amritsar, gurdwaras, guru nanak dev, heavy rush, highways, home ministry, nankana sahib gurdwara, nov 2, obeisance, pakistan, punjab india, punjab province, sahib