Punjab, Haryana paddy procurement crosses 5 mn tonnesOctober 13th, 2008 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Oct 13 (IANS) Procurement of paddy in Punjab and Haryana has crossed the five million tonne mark, officials said here Monday.While Punjab recorded procurement of 3.63 million tonnes till Sunday evening, Haryana recorded over 1.54 million tonnes.
The procurement of paddy started in both states Oct 1 and officials feel that a bumper crop is expected this season.
In Punjab, six government agencies, including five from the state government are engaged in the procurement process.
Food and supplies officers said a payment of Rs.18.18 billion had already been made to farmers by the procuring agencies. The agencies have been told to make payments to farmers within 48 hours of purchase of paddy.
The Punjab government has offered a bonus of Rs.300 per quintal to farmers over the minimum support price of Rs.850 per quintal announced by the central government.
Grain markets in border districts of Ferozepur and Amritsar have so far recorded the maximum arrival of paddy and 1,622 procurement centres have been set up all over Punjab this season.
In Haryana, out of the 1.54 million tonnes of procured paddy, the government agencies have procured nearly one million tonnes. The remaining has been procured by private rice shellers.
- Bihar procures 16 lakh tonnes of paddy - Mar 16, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana cross 2.65 mn tonnes paddy procurement - Oct 11, 2010
- Haryana paddy procurement to begin Oct 1 - Sep 22, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 10 mn tonnes of paddy - Oct 28, 2010
- Bihar procures record paddy but farmers' cheques bounce - Apr 07, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 8.5 mn tonnes of paddy - Oct 25, 2010
- Chhattisgarh farmers earn record money in paddy sale - Feb 25, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure over six mn tonnes paddy - Oct 19, 2010
- Punjab procures 110.50 lakh tonnes wheat - Jun 02, 2011
- Where to stock bumper harvest? Punjab, Haryana in quandary - May 17, 2012
- Jharkhand sets up 500 paddy procurement centres - Aug 05, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana head for bumper wheat crop - May 11, 2011
- With bumper wheat crop, Punjab farmers rich by Rs.14,110 crore - May 11, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure record 200 lakh tonnes of wheat - May 11, 2012