Punjab Gold Cup: India stun Germany, Netherlands beat Kiwis (Lead)

February 3rd, 2009 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS  

Chandigarh, Feb 3 (IANS) Hosts India stunned Beijing Olympics’ champions Germany 2-0 in a league match of the Punjab Gold Cup hockey tournament at the Sector 42 hockey stadium here Tuesday.India’s goals came through penalty corners. Dilip Tirkey converted the first in the 2nd minute to give India a 1-0 lead before Prabhjot Singh scored another in the second half (53rd minute).

But the day belonged to the Man of the Match, Indian goalkeeper Baljeet Singh, who stopped many German attacks. Germany failed to convert any of their seven penalty corners.

The Olympic champions, however, are playing with only four players from the Beijing squad.

Spectators at the Sector 42 Hockey stadium, expecting a keen contest between India and Germany, were euphoric when Tirkey gave a fine start to the team as he dragged the ball into the German goalpost in the second minute.

India held to their lead at half time.

The hosts added another in the second half when striker Prabhjot Singh struck in the 53rd minute as he pushed the ball into the right corner of the German net.

The win fetched India three points, taking their tally to seven with two wins and one draw in the series. While Germany have managed only one point in the series so far, with one draw and two loses.

Earlier, in the first match of the day, The Netherlands dominated over New Zealand for a 4-1 victory.

The Dutch fired three goals in the first 12 minutes of the match to rattle New Zealand.

It was a completely one-sided affair and New Zealand were fortunate not to concede a few more goals.

Striker Bob Vood De scored in the very second minute. Lucas Judge added another field goal in the next minute. Mounting pressure on the Kiwis, Wouter Jolie made the scoreline 3-0 by converting a penalty corner. Netherlands missed some chances before finishing 3-0 at half time.

The Black Sticks could never break free from the Dutch stranglehold and looked confused on whether to defend the onslaught or take an attacking route.

New Zealand tried to make a comeback in the 42nd minute when Nicholas Wilson scored the first goal for his team. But the Netherlands replied with their fourth goal in the 60th minute by Floris Evers.

The Netherlands now have three points from this match and increased their tally to seven while New Zealand have managed just one point in the tournament so far.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |