Punjab couple allege son killed in racial attack in Australia

June 22nd, 2009 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS  

Manmohan Singh Chandigarh, June 22 (IANS) A couple here Monday alleged that their son, found dead in an Australian town under mysterious circumstances in February this year, had fallen prey to racial attacks.
According to Mangat Rai Garg his 25-year-old son Rajat Garg went to Melbourne in 2006 to study hotel management and after completing his course, he started working there.

He was staying in Geelong town and his body was found near a railway track Feb 14 this year under mysterious circumstances, he added.

“Till now the Australian police have not reached any conclusion whether it was an accident or something else. They told us that they would inform us when the enquiry is completed,” Mangat Rai Garg told reporters here Monday.

“But we know that our son had fallen victim to a racial attack. A drug addict, a citizen of Australia killed our son,” said Mangat Rai Garg, who is a commission agent in Rampura Phool town in Bathinda district in Punjab, some 200 km from here.

According to Mangat Rai Garg, the drug addict who allegedly killed his son is the ex-husband of the woman in whose ice cream factory Rajat Garg was working in Melbourne. Rajat Garg sold the ice cream on the beach.

Mangat Rai Garg said: “A few days before the incident, the woman’s ex-husband had got into an argument with Rajat and stolen his purse that was later recovered from him. He had also threatened Rajat.”

Mangat Rai Garg had gone to Melbourne with his wife and daughter Feb 21 and contacted the police officials there about his son’s death.

“We even told the investigating officer that the woman’s ex-husband had killed Rajat after robbing him but they did not pay any heed. They did not even listen to us and their behaviour was very rude,” Mangat Rai Garg added.

Rekha Garg, Rajat Garg’s mother, said: “My son was very happy and he used to call home everyday. He wanted to settle in Australia and had fulfilled all the formalities required for obtaining permanent residence status there.”

“He was wearing a gold chain, locket, watch and a bracelet and at the time of the incident there was around $900 to $1000 in his purse besides his driving license and ATM card of an international bank. But we did not get anything,” Rekha Garg said.

“They only returned us his purse that contained $20. Rajat had to return to India Feb 22 and he had already confirmed his ticket,” she added.

The distressed family had written to the Indian high commission, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and also met Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, requesting them to intervene.

Garg said: “I got a response from the Prime Minister’s Office but till date nothing substantial has worked out.”

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |