Punjab cop fires in air, bullet hits young cricketer (Lead)August 8th, 2009 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Ludhiana, Aug 8 (IANS) Angry after being asked to pay the fare, a policeman quarrelled with a bus conductor and allegedly fired in the air from his service revolver to frighten him - but the bullet hit a young cricketer in the head, police said Saturday.
The incident took place here Friday evening, when Jitender Singh from the Indian Reserve Battalion (IRB) fired a shot in the air inside a bus bound for Jalandhar. The bullet hit 20-year-old Rahul Kumar, a co-passenger. He was taken to hospital in a serious condition.
“The accused cop has been arrested and a case registered against him,” district police chief Sukhchain Singh Gill told IANS Saturday.
The cricketer’s condition is said to be serious, but stable. A doctor said he may not be able to play the sport rest of his life, as his left eye is “completely damaged”.
“There are some serious injuries in his skull. Though we have saved his life, but he cannot play as a normal player,” said Kim Mammon, deputy director of Christian Medical College and Hospital (CMCH) here.
Rahul was a member of the Under-22 cricket team of Jalandhar and was returning home from Patiala.
“We had gone to Patiala to play a cricket match. But we could not play due to bad weather and were returning to Jalandhar when the incident occurred,” said Rahul’s friend, who was travelling in the same bus.
Ludhiana, the industrial hub of Punjab, is around 100 km from the state capital Chandigarh.
- Cop fires in air, bullet hits young cricketer - Aug 08, 2009
- UP policeman hit by bus, critical (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Delhi brothers shot at by snatchers - Jun 18, 2012
- Eight students among 12 killed in Haryana road accident - Apr 28, 2011
- Over 30 per cent polling in Punjab municipal poll - Jun 10, 2012
- Nine killed as mentally ill man hijacks Pune bus (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Main accused in African student's assault held in Punjab - Jul 10, 2012
- Man shot at for opposing girl's harassment - Dec 04, 2011
- Akali Dal-BJP sweep Punjab civic polls (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- One killed, 45 wounded in aerial firings in Pak during WC semi-final match against India - Mar 31, 2011
- Three held for selling fake bus passes - May 13, 2011
- Shutdown affects Punjab, Rajoana appeals for peace (Third Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Man killed in east Delhi firing was family's sole provider - Sep 03, 2012