Punjab Congress legislator arrested after protestOctober 12th, 2008 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kapurthala (Punjab), Oct 12 (IANS) Sukhpal Singh Khaira, Congress legislator from the Bholath assembly constituency in Punjab, was arrested in this district Sunday along with nearly 100 of his supporters after they peacefully protested against the re-laying of the foundation stone of a water supply scheme in a village.The young legislator was protesting against the foundation stone of the water supply scheme in Akbarpur village being re-laid by former Shiromani Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) president Jagir Kaur.
Khaira alleged that the foundation stone of the same project was laid during the previous Congress regime in Punjab in November 2006. He said the village headman got the earlier foundation stone dismantled at the behest of Jagir Kaur to get a fresh one laid.
Khaira had defeated Jagir Kaur, who is from Punjab’s ruling Akali Dal, in the 2007 assembly election from Bholath.
“This is an illegal act that she has done. I will oppose any such move. The project is near completion now with funds from a central project,” Khaira said as he was arrested.
The Congress legislator had been arrested last year too on flimsy charges of stealing tarpaulin and disturbing peace. The case was later cancelled.
Khaira alleged that the Kapurthala district administration and the Punjab police had connived with Jagir Kaur in “the illegal act”.
- Convicted Jagir Kaur remains a VIP in prison - Mar 31, 2012
- Poll panel watching! Punjab goes low on ladoos, posters (Punjab Newsletter) - Jan 21, 2012
- Congress accepts Sukhbir's call for political debate - Oct 19, 2009
- Legislator seeks security after utterances against Badals - Oct 09, 2010
- Jagir Kaur's resignation accepted - Mar 31, 2012
- Two Punjab bureaucrats-turned-politicians bite the dust (Poll sidelights) - Mar 06, 2012
- Badal government's lone woman minister convicted, jailed (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- Probe ordered into Jagir Kaur's VIP treatment in jail - Apr 03, 2012
- Minister jailed for conspiracy in daughter's death (Second Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- A tale of drinks and drugs as Punjab votes - Jan 29, 2012
- Complainant turns hostile in Bibi Jagir Kaur's case - Feb 25, 2010
- Cherie Blair gets caught in Punjab politics - Nov 19, 2008
- Bibi Jagir Kaur can vote in presidential poll: EC - Jul 03, 2012
- Ministers take high 'moral ground' after conviction (Punjab Newsletter) - May 12, 2012
- Teaching a lesson to the Badal government (Punjab Newsletter) - Dec 09, 2011