Punjab assures Haryana of action on canal breachesJuly 12th, 2010 - 8:46 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 12 (IANS) The Punjab government Monday assured Haryana that it will take steps to ensure that no cuts are made in the Sutlej Yamuna Link (SYL) canal which could lead to flooding in Haryana.
The assurance was given by Deputy Commissioner of Patiala in Punjab Deepinder Singh during a telephonic conservation with his counterpart in Ambala in Haryana Samir Pal Srow.
Singh said that all existing breaches in the SYL canal had been plugged and assured that care would be taken in future to ensure that such situations did not arise again which force the people to face the wrath of floods.
Ambala, Kurukshetra and Kaithal districts in Haryana faced flood fury last week following major breaches in the canal in both states.
Haryana had earlier blamed Punjab for not taking effective steps to prevent people from making cuts in the SYL canal and diverting the water of the Ghaggar river, which was in spate, into the canal. This led to flooding in three Haryana districts.
Srow said that a joint meeting of both deputy commissioners would be held soon and they would also visit the affected area falling in the territories of both the states.
The Indian Army’s sub-area commander Brigadier A.P Bam said Monday that soldiers were providing relief material to the affected people.
He said: “The army is extending all help to people on the request of the district administration in this time of crisis. The army is engaged in the rescue and relief work, including road repair to resuming connectivity.”
- Haryana asks Punjab to act against those who caused breaches (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Haryana, Punjab in blame game over floods - Jul 11, 2010
- 11 dead with no let up in Haryana, Punjab floods (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2010
- Fresh breaches, more rain in Haryana, Punjab - Jul 08, 2010
- Flood extensively damages crops in Haryana, Punjab - Jul 09, 2010
- Breaches flood Ambala, Kurukshetra; army called - Jul 06, 2010
- Water recedes in Haryana, Punjab; toll 32 - Jul 10, 2010
- Haryana flood due to mischief in Punjab: Official - Jul 10, 2010
- Flood crisis deepens in Haryana - Jul 11, 2010
- Haryana CM visits flood-hit districts, irrigation minister blames Punjab for floods - Jul 13, 2010
- Harrowing time for residents, passengers in Haryana - Jul 07, 2010
- Fresh breach in Ghaggar river in Punjab - Jul 11, 2010
- Haryana to Punjab: take action against those who caused breaches (Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Water level in Ghaggar concerns Haryana authorities - Jul 11, 2010
- Flood situation grim in Punjab's Mansa district - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: ambala, army, bam, breaches, brigadier, counterpart, deputy commissioner, deputy commissioners, district administration, flood, floods, kaithal, kurukshetra, patiala, punjab government, relief material, spate, sutlej, wrath