Punjab arms dealer held for smuggling Chinese pistolsJuly 22nd, 2012 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
Patiala (Punjab), July 22 (IANS) An arms dealer was arrested in Punjab’s Patiala district Sunday for smuggling expensive Chinese-made prohibited weapons and selling them to customers, police said. Eighteen illegal pistols worth Rs.1.75 crore were seized.
Ferozepur-based arms dealer Vineet Dabra, who used to get the Chinese-made Mausers and sell them to customers, was arrested along with his driver.
Eighteen Mausers, a prohibited weapon in India, worth over Rs.1.75 crore have been recovered, said Deputy Inspector General of Police L.K. Yadav. Over 300 live cartridges were also seized.
Yadav said that it was being investigated if the arms dealer sold other similar weapons to customers in Punjab. He said that this was one of the biggest recoveries of Mauser pistols in Punjab after the terrorism years (1981-1995).
He said that Dabra allegedly bought the weapons from a person based in Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh for Rs.1-1.5 lakh. He then used to prepare fake documents for the weapons and sell them for Rs.7-8 lakh.
Police officials here said that teams have been sent to other places to arrest those who had bought the weapons from him illegally.
- Illegal arms racket busted, 15 held - May 02, 2011
- Gang supplying arms to Maoists busted (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Anti-tank rifle seized from Russian man's home - Aug 03, 2012
- Arms, cash, illicit liquor: Punjab goes to political war (Punjab Newsletter) - Jan 08, 2012
- Criminal, arms supplier arrested in Mumbai with arms - Feb 05, 2011
- Large cache of firearms seized in Pune - Aug 30, 2012
- Two illegal arms factories unearthed - Dec 18, 2010
- Three held for stealing money from IIT accounts - Nov 15, 2011
- Two terror suspects held with RDX in Punjab - May 21, 2012
- Indian Mujahideen arms factory unearthed in Delhi: Minister - Dec 20, 2011
- Two held in Punjab for illegally carrying jewellery - Dec 12, 2010
- Arms seized in Assam, three arrested - Mar 27, 2012
- Muthoot robbery solved, six arrested (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- Bihar farmer becomes Nepal's leading arms dealer - Mar 04, 2011
- Three contract killers held in Delhi - Mar 09, 2011