Pune varsity guard shot deadMay 4th, 2012 - 9:51 am ICT by IANS
Pune, May 4 (IANS) A security guard of the University of Pune was shot dead by an unidentified youth in the campus Thursday night, sending shockwaves among the student community here, police said Friday.
The incident occurred around 8 p.m., when the 56-year-old security guard, Prahlad Jogdandkar, caught a young couple allegedly in a compromising position in an isolated spot on the 410-acre lush green university campus.
He ordered them to pay a penalty of Rs.500 as per the new rules implemented by the university to check trespassing and shady activities on the campus.
The youth quietly paid up and left with his girlfriend on his motorcycle, said an officer at the Chaturshringi police station.
However, the youth returned again after half an hour and demanded Rs.100 back from the security guard since he had no money to fill up petrol in his motorcycle.
When Jogdandkar refused to refund the money, there was an argument and a scuffle, and another security guard rushed there.
Suddenly, the youth whipped out a revolver and fired two rounds at Jogdandkar, and disappeared from the spot.
Jogdandkar was rushed to the Sassoon Hospital where he was later declared dead on admission, police said.
As part of the overall security overhauling in the city, in January, following a police directive, the university administration had beefed up security on the sprawling campus.
Besides registering all vehicles entering the campus, all visitors were required to enter their details at the two main gates to prevent unauthorised people from entering and misusing the campus.
The University of Pune falls in a high-security zone, which includes the Raj Bhavan Pune and other important buildings.
- Police listing suspects in Chennai boy's killing - Jul 05, 2011
- Two Pakistanis held on border, sent back (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Dalit lover lynched in Rajasthan - Oct 10, 2011
- Bangalore blast accused killed in jail - Jun 08, 2012
- Varsity security guard shoots two dead - Feb 16, 2011
- Two detained for trying to enter Dhoni's home - Dec 25, 2011
- Kanpur cop dies after being shot inside police station (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- 20-year-old student murdered in Delhi - May 07, 2011
- National Defence Academy wary of security threat from illegal shops - Sep 28, 2011
- Youth shoots at cops inside Kanpur police station - Mar 30, 2012
- Technology institute's guard guns down burglar - Dec 05, 2010
- Truck runs over cop in Delhi - May 18, 2012
- Mall security guard shot at in Delhi - Mar 10, 2011
- Chain snatcher shot dead in Noida, accomplice escapes - Jan 27, 2011
- The cost of getting a new nose in Asia (The Funny Side) - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: girlfriend, half an hour, high security, motorcycle, old security, petrol, police station, prahlad, raj bhavan, revolver, rs 500, security guard, security zone, shady activities, shockwaves, thursday night, unidentified youth, university administration, university of pune, young couple