Pune cardiologist’s murder mystery solvedJune 20th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, June 20 (IANS) The Pune police claimed to have solved the murder of senior cardiologist Vijay Ghaisas here with the arrest of his previous maid servant’s unemployed grandson and the latter’s friend. The gory murder that took place Monday morning in the presence of the doctor’s new maidservant had left the city shocked. Ghaisas was living alone for about a month as his wife Arundhati was away in the United States visiting their son and daughter.
The unemployed youth, Sunil Bodh and his accomplice Chander Sharma, who were arrested Thursday, have confessed having sneaked into the cardiologist’s house with the intention of robbery but ending up murdering him, city police chief Jayant Umranikar said.
Sunil, whom Ghaisas had caught red-handed committing theft in his house last year, had visited him a few days earlier requesting for a job but the doctor had turned him away with a snub. Apparently angry and coming to know that Ghaisas was alone, Sunil planned to commit the robbery, Umranikar told IANS.
Accompanied by Chander and another friend Ramu Kotariya who is absconding, Sunil entered Ghaisas’s Prabhat Road house in Erandavane from the rear door left open by the cardiologist’s cook after her exit.
But the three got locked in the corridor when the doctor closed the door along with the other one that opened into the house.
When Ghaisas opened both the doors after some time for his maidservant, all three came out of the bathroom where they were hiding and while one of them fled pushing her away, the other two attacked the cardiologist, Umranikar told IANS.
The assailants inflicted 52 stab wounds on 68-year-old Ghaisas before fleeing even as the frightened maid locked herself in the bathroom.
A clue to the previous maidservant’s grandson was available only after the arrival of Ghaisas’ wife and son from the US. The police were earlier working on other theories like old rivalry, contract killing or property dispute in the absence of any clue, the police chief said.
The cops hope to catch the third accused soon, he added.
- Personal enmity could be behind Pune doctor's murder: Police - Jun 18, 2008
- Noted Pune cardiologist murdered - Jun 17, 2008
- Guard, maid rob employee's house - Feb 20, 2011
- Huge cash recovered from Fiza's house - Aug 09, 2012
- Delhi's burglars make hay while summer vacation shines - Jun 14, 2011
- Fiza dies in mysterious circumstances (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Fiza Mohammed found (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Newly-wed couple in Agra found dead in bathroom - Mar 09, 2012
- Woman nabbed for killing mother-in-law - Mar 17, 2012
- No clues in elderly Delhi woman's murder - Sep 02, 2012
- Elderly woman found dead in her Delhi flat - Jun 20, 2012
- More cash, jewellery comes out of Fiza's lockers - Sep 13, 2012
- Woman, daughter murdered in Punjab - Sep 21, 2010
- Delhi woman strangled to death inside her room - May 25, 2012
- Fiza cremated in Chandigarh - Aug 07, 2012