Public awareness key to disaster management, says ministerMay 5th, 2011 - 12:14 am ICT by IANS
Agra, May 4 (IANS) The impact of natural disasters could be minimised by spreading adequate information, creating public awareness and coordinating action, union Tourism Minister Subodh Kant Sahay said here Wednesday.
Sahay inaugurated the three-day international conference on earthquakes and rescue operations at Hotel Clark Shiraz.
Sharing experiences and exposure to the latest information on techniques of rescue operations would help considerably in disaster management, Sahay added.
The event is being sponsored by the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) in cooperation with International Search and Advisory Group (INSARG) for Asian and Pacific countries.
M. Shashi Dhar Reddy, vice president of the NDMA, detailed measures taken in advance to limit the damage caused by man-made disasters and steps to effectively deal with the impact of earthquakes.
He cited Japan’s example where in 2010 over 670,000 people had participated in a drill to test the state of preparedness.
Reddy said that periodic exercises were being carried out in Indian cities under the close watch of the authority.
More than 250 drills have been conducted 90 in schools and colleges, he added.
- International quake convention begins in Agra - May 04, 2011
- NDMA to conduct mock earthquake drill next year - Jun 06, 2012
- NDMA to lay down guidelines for hospital fires - Dec 12, 2011
- Mock disaster drill held in Delhi, will show loopholes: NDMA - Feb 15, 2012
- Delhi to have its own disaster response force soon - Feb 17, 2012
- Private telecom important in disaster management: Pilot - Feb 15, 2012
- Mock drill in Gurgaon July 20 to test quake preparedness - Jul 14, 2012
- Mock quake drill in Agra - Apr 25, 2011
- NDMA felicitates NDRF team for commendable work in earthquake-hit Japan - Apr 15, 2011
- Drill to check Delhi's earthquake preparedness - Feb 14, 2012
- PM directs safety upgrades at all nuclear facilities (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- India to begin nuclear safety, emergency response drill Friday - Jun 09, 2011
- Mock drills at 11 Delhi Metro stations Saturday - Jul 27, 2012
- 300 engineers to be trained to spot unsafe buildings - Apr 24, 2012
- PM takes stock of nuclear safety - Jun 01, 2011
Tags: advisory group, agra, close watch, disaster management, earthquakes, indian cities, international search, man made disasters, management authority, national disaster, natural disasters, ndma, pacific countries, periodic exercises, preparedness, public awareness, rescue operations, sahay, subodh, tourism minister