Protests, security restrictions in tense SrinagarFebruary 27th, 2009 - 6:18 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 27 (IANS) Protests erupted in parts of Srinagar Friday despite curfew-like restrictions imposed in the city in the wake of the mysterious death of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Yasin Malik’s kin.
Authorities had imposed restrictions in Srinagar and south Kashmir’s Anantnag town to foil separatist attempts to hold protests after Friday prayers, officials said.
Paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and police personnel were deployed in heavy strength across the summer capital to maintain law and order. In fact, Friday prayers couldn’t be offered at the historic Jamia Masjid.
People offered prayers in local mosques in the old city, which has been tense since early this week following the alleged killing of two youths by troops of the army’s 22 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) in Bumai village near Sopore town last week and the Malik’s relative’s death Tuesday.
But despite the restrictions, protests erupted in Maisuma, Safakadal and Nawakadal localities here, prompting police and CRPF to use tear gas and batons to disperse the protestors.
The authorities moved fresh reinforcements to Maisuma, where hundreds joined the ‘fateha ceremony’ (prayers after death) of Malik’s relative.
In north Kashmir’s Sopore town, angry youth held protests after Friday prayers against the killing of the two youth.
Police resorted to baton charge to disperse the mob shouting pro-independence and anti-India slogans.
A police official said that restrictions were imposed in the city in view of the prevailing tense situation. He added that barring a few incidents, the day passed off peacefully.
The separatist Hurriyat Conference had called for protests Friday against the recent killings.
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
- Shutdown on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2012
- Protests in Srinagar over Facebook posts - Nov 18, 2011
- Curfew, clashes and shutdown hit Kashmir Valley again (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Senior cop among 30 injured in Kashmir clashes - Nov 07, 2011
- Two killed in protests as Kashmir flares up (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2010
- 40 wounded in day-long Kashmir violence - Feb 02, 2010
- Two dead as mobs run amok in Sopore, Baramulla, Srinagar (Intro Roundup) - Jun 28, 2010
- Two youth injured in Srinagar, separatist march foiled (Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
- Sopore tense as mob protests youth's killing - Jun 28, 2010
- Two dozen injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Clashes in Srinagar over youth's death (Second Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- Srinagar in turmoil over youth's death (Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- Protests erupt against blasphemous video in Srinagar - Sep 14, 2012
- Separatist shutdown, restrictions paralyses Kashmir (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010