Protests in Orissa assembly over accident, mob violenceFebruary 12th, 2009 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Feb 12 (IANS) Opposition legislators Thursday noisily protested in the state assembly against violence in an Orissa town a day earlier, forcing Speaker Kishor Mohanty to adjourn the house four times.
Minutes after the house began its sitting for the day, lawmakers of the Congress and other opposition parties gathered near the well of the house and raised slogans demanding a statement from Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
On Wednesday, nearly 50 people, including several policemen, were injured when the police clashed with people in Bolangir town, some 325 km from. The people were protesting against a road accident caused by a police van.
The protesting lawmakers were pacified after the chief minister made a written statement on tne accident.
Patnaik told the assembly that the government has suspended the driver, arrested at least eight people and ordered an administrative inquiry into the incident.
The state government has asked the revenue divisional commissioner in charge of the region to probe the matter and submit a report to the government in 15 days, Patnaik said.
- Hostage crisis: Odisha holds talks as MLA abducted (Second Lead) - Mar 24, 2012
- Legislator throws pen stand at Orissa speaker - Dec 20, 2010
- Uproar in Orissa assembly over hostage crisis - Feb 18, 2011
- Congress shutdown paralyses life in Odisha (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Parliament again shuts down over FDI - Nov 30, 2011
- Orissa assembly adjourned over Vedanta varsity issue - Nov 23, 2010
- Congress shutdown hits life in Odisha - Sep 10, 2012
- Orissa assembly disrupted again over university issue - Nov 24, 2010
- Tripura assembly sees chaos; 'Fake SC status' of ruling Left MLA - Sep 21, 2012
- Legislator tears own shirt in Jharkhand assembly - Sep 03, 2012
- WikiLeaks: Walkout in Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha adjourned (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Orissa legislator jumps on speaker's table - Dec 14, 2010
- Day 9 of parliament adjournment, JPC deadlock continues (Second Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day, opposition demands government quit - Mar 17, 2011
- Uproar over price rise stalls parliament (Roundup) - Jul 27, 2010