Protests in Bihar town after jewellers’ killingJune 2nd, 2009 - 1:28 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 2 (IANS) Hundreds of people, mostly traders, took to the streets in Bihar’s Begusarai town Tuesday, protesting the killing of the owners of a jewellery shop.
Kundan Sony and Chandan Sony, brothers and owners of Sony jewellery shop in Begusarai, about 125 km from here, were shot dead Monday night by unidentified assailants. Family sources say they were killed over a property dispute.
“They were killed when they were returning home after closing their shop,” police sources in Begusarai said.
Angry traders observed a shutdown in the town to protest their killing, while hundreds demonstrated on the roads. Mobs blocked a highway and tyres were burnt in several areas.
“Protesters blocked National Highway 31 and burnt tyres at several places, demanding the arrest of the accused in the case,” a district official said.
Three suspects have been arrested and a hunt is on for the other accused. The deputy inspector general (Munger range) has been directed to camp at Begusarai until the case is solved, officials said.
- Traders protest businessman's killing in Patna - Jun 13, 2009
- Shutdown near total in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- National highway blocked to protest lawyer's killing - Feb 16, 2011
- Three held for killing youth protesting abuse of sister - Feb 26, 2011
- Bihar cop fires on protesting flood victims, suspended - Aug 26, 2011
- Seven years jail for two carjackers - Jul 17, 2011
- Markets shut, trains stopped in Agra - May 31, 2012
- Patna residents protest businessman's killing - Mar 18, 2010
- Strike disrupts normal life in Bihar - May 10, 2012
- Bikaner residents block roads to protest murder - Jun 30, 2012
- In Bihar, many think dengue is a divine curse - Sep 23, 2010
- Reddy supporters protest his arrest - Sep 06, 2011
- Two jewellers shot dead, traders on rampage in Faizabad - Aug 03, 2011
- Orissa lawmaker held for criminal activities - Feb 08, 2011
- CPI-ML strike hits Bihar (Lead) - May 10, 2012