Protests against setting up university on farmland in OrissaDecember 5th, 2008 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Puri (Orissa), Dec 5 (IANS) More than 2,000 people, including women, Friday began a march from Orissa’s temple city of Puri to state capital Bhubaneswar to protest the acquisition of farmland for setting up of a university promoted by the company Vedanta Resources.The protestors, carrying banners and shouting slogans, began their march from the Jagannath temple in Puri, about 56 km from Bhubaneswar.
Umaballav Ratha, leader of Srikhetra Milita Sangram Samiti, which is spearheading the agitation, told IANS that the protestors will reach Bhubaneswar by Sunday. They will then hold a demonstration in front of the state assembly.
The university, coming up on 6,000 acres near the Puri-Konarka marine drive, is being set up by the Anil Agarwal Foundation, promoted by industrialist Anil Agarwal, who is also chairman of Vedanta Resources.
Villagers are opposed to the construction of the university since they claim they will lose their farmland. They also allege that part of the land used for the project belongs to the Jagannath temple trust.
A foundation official said 256.49 acres has already been acquired for the university. This includes 385.15 acres of government and 1871.34 acres of private land.
Once built, the proposed university will accommodate over 100,000 students.
- Land acquisition for Vedanta University quashed - Nov 16, 2010
- Vedanta University: Apex court orders status quo (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Supreme Court bench again avoids Vedanta hearing - Jan 21, 2011
- Hundreds protest Vedanta University project in Orissa - Nov 04, 2008
- BJP activists burn effigies of Patnaik over Vedanta issue - Nov 17, 2010
- Vedanta University project gets environmental clearance - Apr 17, 2010
- Orissa assembly adjourned over Vedanta varsity issue - Nov 23, 2010
- Orissa assembly disrupted again over university issue - Nov 24, 2010
- Supreme Court to hear Vedanta University's appeal - Jan 21, 2011
- Orissa moves apex court on proposed Vedanta university - Dec 15, 2010
- Orissa rally to celebrate dumping of university plan - Nov 30, 2010
- Environment ministry puts on hold Vedanta varsity in Orissa - May 11, 2010
- Patnaik defends Vedanta varsity decision - Nov 25, 2010
- Protests in Orissa over varsity land issue - Nov 18, 2010
- Orissa town celebrates return festival of deities - Jul 11, 2011