Protests against finance firms as two more commit suicideOctober 11th, 2010 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Oct 11 (IANS) Two people committed suicide Monday in Andhra Pradesh after microfinance companies allegedly harassed them for non-repayment of loans. Opposition parties have urged the government to take action against the firms while a rights panel has asked police to submit the reports on suicides.
While an auto driver committed suicide in Warangal district, a woman ended her life in East Godavari district. Another woman attempted suicide by consuming pesticides in Karimnagar district and was battling for her life at a local hospital.
Their relatives alleged that microfinance firms were harassing them for nonpayment of loans.
Meanwhile, the opposition parties have alleged that dozens of people had committed suicide in the state in the past few weeks.
Expressing concern, Communist Party of India (CPI) state secretary K. Narayana has urged the state government to take immediate steps in this issue.
The microfinance firms are accused of luring people with low interest rates. However, they later charge high interest rates, allege the parties.
Meanwhile, the State Human Rights Commission (SHRC), taking suo motu cognizance of media reports on suicides, issued notices last week to the district collectors to submit their reports by Oct 29.
Commission chairman Kakumanu Peda Peri Reddy also directed the superintendents of police to take action in this regard.
- Andhra to bring bill to check harassment of borrowers - Oct 12, 2010
- Court declines stay on Andhra micro-finance ordinance - Oct 22, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh rights panel takes up killed doctor's case - Jun 24, 2011
- Kakru to head Andhra rights panel - Nov 22, 2011
- Another suicide due to alleged harassment - Oct 13, 2010
- Four booked for Odisha gangrape after mounting pressure - Jan 10, 2012
- Andhra takes measures to rein in micro-finance firms - Oct 14, 2010
- Microfinance firms fear Andhra law will hurt them - Dec 15, 2010
- Odisha gangrape: One suspect arrested (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Rights panel orders arrest of senior Kashmir cop (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Punjab Police official beats woman over theft, probe ordered - Jan 23, 2012
- Kashmir rights panel headless, cases pile up - Feb 03, 2012
- Notice issued to LAWDA over Srinagar farmhouse - Apr 25, 2012
- Farmers in dire straits in Kerala's Wayanad: Panel - Nov 14, 2011
- NHRC urged to help woman who tried to end life - Apr 29, 2012
Tags: auto driver, cognizance, commission chairman, commit suicide, committed suicide, communist party of india, CPI, east godavari, finance firms, godavari district, high interest rates, human rights commission, local hospital, low interest rates, narayana, oct 11, opposition parties, peda, state secretary, suicides