Protesting war veterans return nine cartons of gallantry medalsDecember 9th, 2009 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 9 (IANS) War veterans and ex-servicemen have returned nine cartons of gallantry medals to the defence ministry as a sign of protest against their demand of “one rank one pension” not being accepted, union Defence Minister A.K. Antony said Wednesday.
“Nine cardboard boxes full of medals have been received, in protest against non-acceptance of their demands of ‘One Rank One Pension’,” Antony told the Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
The main demand of the armed forces veterans, who returned their medals either won in combat or for distinguished service during peace time, is that irrespective of the date on which a soldier retires, he or she should get the same pension.
An army sepoy who retired before 1996 gets a monthly pension of Rs.3,670. But one who retired between 1996 and December 2005 gets Rs.4,680. A sepoy who retired after January 2006 gets Rs.8,700.
Effectively then, an army havildar, who retired earlier, gets pension money that is less than that of a sepoy retiring after January 2006 though the havildar enjoys a higher rank. The mismatch applies to all ranks.
“Although the ‘one rank one pension’ demand has not been accepted, keeping in view the spirit of the matter, the Committee constituted has recommended substantial improvement in pension of PBOR (personnel below officers rank) pensioners of pre January 1, 2006 and bring pre Oct 10, 1997 pensioners on par with post Oct 10, 1997 pensioners,” Antony added.
The government has rejected the ‘one rank one pension’ demand on grounds that it will entail huge financial costs.
- Government rejects ex-soldiers' 'one rank one pension' plea - Feb 18, 2009
- Ex-servicemen hold protest, demand equal pension (Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Panel formed on one-rank-one-pension demand - May 04, 2009
- Defence Ministry has got nine boxes of medals from ex servicemen - Dec 14, 2009
- Ex-servicemen return gallantry medals over pension - Feb 08, 2009
- Ex-serviceman files RTI plea over 'one rank one pension' issue - Feb 09, 2009
- Supreme commander of armed forces has no time for us: Ex-soldiers (Lead) - Feb 21, 2009
- Government accepts recommendations on ex-servicemen's pension - Mar 10, 2010
- Soldiers, JCOs pension upped; officers ignored (Lead) - Jul 06, 2009
- One-rank-one-pension demand accepted: Antony - Jul 13, 2009
- Hike in defence budget misleading: Experts - Jul 06, 2009
- One-rank-one-pension not so soon: Antony - Aug 25, 2010
- Govt. implements committee recommendations on ex-soldiers pension - Mar 10, 2010
- Congress official urges ex-servicemen not to return medals - Mar 18, 2010
- Retired defence personnel demand hike in pension - Jul 11, 2010
Tags: antony, armed forces, cardboard boxes, cartons, defence minister, defence ministry, distinguished service, gallantry medals, higher rank, january 1, mismatch, New Delhi, peace time, pension money, rajya sabha, rank one, reply, sepoy, substantial improvement, war veterans