Protesting teachers baton charged in Himachal PradeshOctober 6th, 2008 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Oct 6 (IANS) At least 30 protesting teachers were injured when the police resorted to baton charge to disburse them in the state capital of Himachal Pradesh Monday.More than 10,000 teachers, who were appointed through various parent-teacher associations (PTAs) during the tenure of the previous Congress government, have been on the warpath since the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government announced in January this year that it would inquire into the cases of irregularities in their appointments.
“More than 500 teachers were protesting when some of the protesters tried to enter the secretariat. This led to clash between us (the police) and the protesters… we had to use force to disperse them (the teachers),” R.M. Sharma, Shimla’s superintendent of police, told IANS.
He said five police personnel were also injured during the clash.
Vivek Mehta, a leader of the protesters, said they were staging a silent protest when the police used force to disperse them.
Chief Minister P.K. Dhumal has already announced a number of times that PTA appointees are not government employees and their agitation is uncalled for.
- Himachal Congress activists baton charged, detained - Apr 09, 2010
- Pakistan blocks over 700 anti-Islam YouTube links - Sep 17, 2012
- Protesting workers injure six cops - Apr 10, 2012
- Himachal Congress workers baton charged, arrested (Lead) - Apr 09, 2010
- Aspiring teachers baton-charged in Lucknow - Nov 21, 2011
- Fishermen affected by Gangavaram port again on warpath - Oct 06, 2010
- Teaching work hit in Himachal schools - Jun 25, 2008
- One killed as protesters, police clash in Ranchi - Sep 03, 2012
- Five Himachal cops sustain burns tackling protesters - May 25, 2010
- Teachers climb water tank in protest; baton charged (Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- Cops clash with youth outside UP assembly - Mar 20, 2012
- Teachers clash with police in Lucknow, 30 injured - Sep 14, 2010
- Tension as cops clash with students, stop Telangana march - Sep 19, 2011
- Mob protests woman's rescue, three killed - Oct 19, 2011
- Congress appoints Virbhadra campaign committee chief for Himachal elections - Jul 17, 2012