Protesting BJP workers taken into custodyAugust 11th, 2011 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) Nearly a thousand Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) workers, including several leaders, were Thursday taken into custody during a protest march here to condemn the baton charge by police during their agitation two days ago.
“We reached Jantar Mantar at around 11.30 a.m. and raised slogans to protest the lathicharge on Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) activists by police Tuesday,” BJP leader Vijay Jolly told IANS.
“As we were nearing Parliament Street from Jantar Mantar, about 1,000 protesters were taken into custody,” he added.
Apart from condemning Tuesday’s incident, the protesters demanded Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit’s resignation after a Comptroller and Auditor General’s (CAG) report blamed her government in the 2010 Commonwealth Games scam.
Jolly, along with other BJP leaders like Delhi party president Vijender Gupta, were taken into custody near Parliament Street.
Raising slogans against the government and the Delhi Police, carrying party flags and holding placards, the workers marched towards Parliament Street.
BJP’s youth wing BJYM’s activists Tuesday staged protests to demand that Dikshit resign after the CAG report blamed her. Police lobbed teargas shells, used water cannons and resorted to baton charge to disperse the demonstrators.
- BJP, police clash again at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- BJP workers, police clash at Jantar Mantar (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- BJP workers, cops clash at Jantar Mantar - Aug 09, 2011
- Chidambaram cornered, should resign: BJP - Aug 10, 2011
- BJP targets Chidambaram, stalls parliament (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2011
- Advani meets Pranab, complains about police crackdown - Aug 10, 2011
- Delhi Police chief meets Chidambaram - Aug 10, 2011
- Uproar in parliament over police crackdown on BJP workers - Aug 10, 2011
- BJP demands removal of Chidambaram - Aug 10, 2011
- Kejriwal arrested, vows to protest again (Third Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- BJP demands Chidambaram's resignation, disrupts parliament (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Rajya Sabha adjourned over BJP protests - Aug 09, 2011
- Left, BJP demand Dikshit's resignation - Aug 04, 2011
- Jantar Mantar: The epicentre of India's crusades - Apr 08, 2011
- Coal allocation attack will be sharper than Bofors: BJP - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, agitation, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, bjp leaders, cag report, chief minister, comptroller and auditor general, delhi police, demonstrators, gupta, mantar, parliament street, party flags, party president, protest march, protesters, sheila dikshit, slogans, water cannons