Protesters release police hostages in PeruJune 18th, 2008 - 12:03 pm ICT by IANS
Lima, June 18 (IANS) Some 50 police officers being held hostage inside a Catholic church in the southern Peruvian city of Moquegua by protesting residents have been released, EFE news reported Wednesday. The residents, who have been protesting for the last eight days demanding a bigger share of mining revenue, released the police personnel late Tuesday following an appeal by a group of mayors from Moquegua province.
The policemen led by General Alberto Jordan were transferred to the Moquegua airport soon after their release.
The policemen were held hostage by thousands of residents Monday while they were trying to disperse the demonstrators who had cut the Panamericana Highway, Peru’s main north-south route.
Speaking to reporters after thier release, Jordan said he and his men were on the verge of being hanged by some enraged demonstrators following Monday’s confrontation.
The general also said that before their release he was forced to display a white flag and seek a public apology for the police intervention during the locals’ demonstration.
Cabinet chief Jorge del Castillo also confirmed that “all the policemen who were being illegally held were released” and announced that the resumption of the negotiations with the Moquegua authorities had been accepted.
“We will seek the best solution possible,” he said.
The road-blocking protest began June 9 and resulted in food and fuel shortages in southern Peru.
Residents of Moquegua, backed by regional officials, declared a general strike last week after a breakdown in negotiations with Del Castillo on the Moqueguans’ demand for a larger share of the taxes and royalties paid by a big copper operation with a presence in both Moquegua and neighboring Tacna.
President Alan Garcia said Sunday that he had told the relevant authorities to reach a solution to the conflict between Moquegua and Tacna.
- 70 police, general taken hostage in Peru mining protest - Jun 17, 2008
- Haryana farmers torch police station - Jul 22, 2012
- Strong 6.4-magnitude earthquake hits southern Peru, northern Chile - May 06, 2010
- At least 10 people injured following strong earthquake in southern Peru, northern Chile - May 06, 2010
- Trash bag clad mugger attempts to rob Texas jewelry store with kitchen knife! - Oct 20, 2010
- 17 held in Mexico summer camp attack - Jul 20, 2012
- Sailors to protest Somali piracy on Wednesday - Apr 25, 2011
- Suspense over release of abducted Bihar cops (Evening Lead) - Sep 05, 2010
- Talks for release of Italians remain inconclusive (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Violence erupts in Philippine hostage-taking (Second lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Naxals kill one abducted cop in Bihar - Sep 02, 2010
- Three Pakistani officials taken hostage, released - Aug 22, 2011
- `Without Men' features Eva Longoria in lesbian scene - Jul 29, 2011
- Murder suspect Joran van der Sloot arrives in Peru - Jun 05, 2010
- Prison guards taken hostage in Sri Lanka - Jun 29, 2012