Protesters clash with security men in SrinagarSeptember 13th, 2008 - 3:27 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Sep 13 (IANS) A day after two people were killed and 40 injured in clashes with security personnel, agitated mobs Saturday forced the shutdown of shops in Lal Chowk, the centre of this summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, by pelting stones at police and paramilitary forces. Besides Lal Chowk, clashes between the protesters and security men also erupted in adjacent Hari Singh High Street after local police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel used batons and tear smoke shells to disperse the protesters.
However, despite the shutting down of Lal Chowk and Hari Singh High Street markets, educational institutions, banks and business establishments in the rest of the city functioned normally.
On Friday, protests had turned violent in the old city area of Nowhatta when stone pelting mobs attacked the police and CRPF. Around a dozen people were wounded in the clashes.
Security forces had also opened fire to disperse a mob in Shopian, 56 km from here. One person was killed in the firing and 12 others were injured.
One protester was also killed in firing on a mob by security personnel in Baramulla town, 54 km from here. Four other protesters sustained injuries in that incident.
An indefinite curfew had been clamped on Shopian and Baramulla following the violence.
- Two injured in police firing during Kashmir protests - Feb 21, 2010
- Two critically injured in continuing Kashmir violence - Sep 12, 2010
- Violence continues in Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Senior cop among 30 injured in Kashmir clashes - Nov 07, 2011
- Two killed, over 50 injured in violence across Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- Geelani arrested, dozens injured in Valley clashes (Night Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Stone-pelting mob clashes with police in Baramulla - Apr 06, 2012
- Curfew, clashes and shutdown hit Kashmir Valley again (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Two killed in protests as Kashmir flares up (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2010
- Two dozen injured in Kashmir clashes (Lead) - Jul 16, 2010
- Three killed in Kashmir firing, over 50 injured (Night Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- 25 including 11 cops wounded in fresh Kashmir violence (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
- Violent protests in Kashmir Valley, dozens hurt - Jul 28, 2010
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
- Violence continues in curfew-bound Kashmir, toll four (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010