Protesters clash with police near Chhattisgarh chief minister’s houseFebruary 16th, 2009 - 8:08 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Feb 16 (IANS) At least a dozen people and eight policemen were injured here Monday when the police baton charged protesters carrying a youth’s body near the official residence of Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh, police said.
The clash broke out after over a hundred protesters carrying the body of a 23-year-old youth, Gulshan Meghani, wanted to march towards the chief minister’s residence to stage a protest, but the police stopped them.
The protesters blamed the local authorities for the death of the youth, who came under debris of his shop razed during the Raipur Municipal Corporation’s ongoing anti-encroachment drive.
City police chief Lal Umed Singh said about a dozen protesters and at least eight policemen were injured when the protesters defied police warnings and jumped over barricades to reach the chief minister’s house.
- Six injured in clash between locals and cops in Bikaner - Mar 19, 2012
- Congress protest against Chhattisgarh CM turns violent - Sep 04, 2012
- Six cops injured in mob attack in Rajasthan - Aug 08, 2012
- Traders, BJP activists attack police in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 30, 2010
- Two Chhattisgarh cops killed in accident - Sep 03, 2011
- 10 cops killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Villagers clash with police in Noida - Sep 10, 2012
- Police baton-charge mob in Varanasi - May 16, 2010
- One killed, 41 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 11, 2011
- Lucknow anti-encroachment drive protest turns violent - May 07, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Dhanbad after clash during anti-encroachment drive - Apr 28, 2011
- Marandi, legislators held in anti-encroachment protest - Mar 31, 2011
- Violent clashes in Indian-administered Kashmir after youth dies in custody - Aug 01, 2011
- Violence breaks out Bhopal demolition drive, dozens injured (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- One killed in violent anti-demolition protests in Ranchi (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011