Protest outside Delhi Police headquarters over Batla house shootoutApril 11th, 2009 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 11 (IANS) Demanding a judicial probe over the Batla house shootout in which two terror suspects and a police inspector were killed, a group of people including women staged protests outside the Delhi Police headquarters Saturday afternoon.
Nearly 50-60 protesters from the Jamia Teachers Solidarity Group raised slogans against Delhi Police’s Special Cell that on Sep 19 last year killed two men suspected to be involved in the Delhi serial bombings six days earlier.
In the south Delhi shootout two suspected terrorists had escaped, while one was arrested. Delhi Police inspector M.C. Sharma was also killed.
The protesters, carrying banners and placards, jostled with policemen shouting “Special Cell hai hai… Delhi Police Murdabad” (Down with Special Cell, down with Delhi Police). A banner read “Special Cell = Encounter Specialist”. They also burnt an effigy.
“We are protesting against Delhi Police’s refusal to allow judicial probe in the shootout,” said Tanvir Fazal, who identified himself as a teacher with the Jamia Milia University in the capital.
The protesters were outraged by an affidavit the police filed in the Delhi High Court, saying that a magisterial inquiry into this case would demoralise the police force.
“The affidavit is virtually a charter for a licence to kill for the police, which mock at the very idea that the security agencies should operate within the ambit of law and be sensitive to human rights concerns,” said Adil Mehandi, one of the protesters.
- Students Islamic Organisation of India demands judicial probe in Batla House encounter - Mar 24, 2010
- Want justice for Batla house accused, says Digvijay (Second Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Trial to begin in Batla House shootout case - Feb 15, 2011
- Jamia teachers protest NHRC's clean chit to police in shootout - Jul 24, 2009
- Batla House encounter genuine, no re-opening: Chidambaram - Jan 12, 2012
- Want justice for Batla house accused, says Digvijay - Jan 12, 2012
- Batla House shootout: Court paves way for trial (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Indian Mujahideen terrorist sent to police custody - Feb 06, 2010
- A coaching centre for the poor - inside a police station! - Mar 25, 2012
- Indian Mujahideen terrorist remanded to police custody - Feb 03, 2010
- 2008 Batla House shootout may have been staged: Digvijay Singh - Sep 22, 2010
- Delhi Police rush for Indian Mujahideen terrorist's custody - Feb 02, 2010
- Delhi Police files charge sheet against 11 IM suspects - May 23, 2012
- Apex court says no to probe into Batla house killings (Lead) - Oct 30, 2009
- Protest against Bihar police firing - Jun 13, 2011