Protest in Mumbai over toddler’s murderJanuary 19th, 2012 - 6:03 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 19 (IANS) Over 100 women from a slum in south Mumbai Thursday demonstrated outside two police stations after a three-and-half-year-old girl from the area was found murdered, police said.
Identified as Karishma Chavan, the victim’s body was found dumped in garbage Wednesday at Nariman Point in south Mumbai. The child was a resident of Ambedkar Nagar slum in Cuffe Parade, three km from where her body was found.
This is the second time since November last year that a girl’s body has been found at the spot.
“We want police to take some action against a suspected serial killer,” said Subhadra Gaikwad, a resident of Ambedkar Nagar.
Chavan went missing Tuesday, following which her family had lodged a police complaint.
“We had sent our teams to look for the girl in nearby areas and found her body barely a few yards from the spot where we found the dead body of another girl of almost the same age. Like Chavan, she also suffered a head injury,” Assistant Commissioner of Police Iqbal Sheikh told reporters Thursday.
According to police, initial medical reports show that a head injury caused Chavan’s death. However, the police have found wounds on her arms and back too. The victim was found without any clothes and hence the police are not ruling out sexual assault.
“We are waiting for the post-mortem report to get a clear picture,” Sheikh added.
- Four killed in Maharashtra wall collapse - Aug 30, 2010
- Ambedkar memorial work to be speeded up, says PM - Aug 18, 2012
- Jilted man kills girl - Jan 12, 2012
- Delhi Police rescues missing minor - Jul 29, 2012
- 9-year-old girl's body found in Mumbai police colony - Mar 07, 2010
- Woman, lover arrested for killing brother - Feb 06, 2011
- Elderly woman found killed in Delhi - May 04, 2012
- Girl commits suicide after spat over food - Jun 27, 2011
- Mumbai to get more air-conditioned buses - Jun 01, 2012
- MCD truck catches fire, helper injured - Apr 29, 2012
- Girl child found raped, strangled to death - Sep 03, 2009
- Teenaged girl raped, friend molested in West Bengal - Jun 30, 2012
- 11 injured in Delhi cylinder blast (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Murdered Nepali woman's body found in tank - Jul 26, 2011
- Ex-cop, 3 others acquitted in Mumbai gang-rape case - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: 100 women, assistant commissioner, commissioner of police, garbage, head injury, iqbal, jan 19, karishma, medical reports, nearby areas, old girl, police complaint, police stations, post mortem report, second time, serial killer, sexual assault, sheikh, slum, south mumbai