Protest against Bihar police firingJune 13th, 2011 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) Activists here Monday protested against police firing in Araria district of Bihar earlier this month which left six villagers, including a pregnant woman and a six-month-old baby, dead.
The police June 3 opened fire on a group of villagers who blocked a road to protest against an upcoming factory at Bhajanpur village near Forbesganj in Araria, about 350 km from Patna.
About a hundred people, under the banner of Committee for Justice to Victims of Forbesganj Firing (CJVFF), gathered outside Bihar Bhawan in central Delhi and demanded justice for the victims.
“Five people, including a pregnant woman and a six-month-old baby, were killed while nine others were injured in the incident,” human rights activist Mahtab Alam told IANS.
“We demand judicial probe by a sitting high court judge, immediate suspension of the guilty policemen, FIR (first information report) against them under section 307 of the IPC (Indian Penal Code) and compensation of at least Rs.10 lakh to the victims,” Alam said.
He added that the CJVFF will also approach the National Commission for the Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) and National Commission for Women (NCW).
Other groups, including Act Now for Harmony and Democracy (ANHAD) and Jamia Teachers Solidarity Association, also joined the protest.
- Bihar Deputy CM in trouble over police firing - Jun 10, 2011
- Muslim bodies demand action against Bihar cops - Jun 12, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi meets victims of Bihar police firing - Jul 01, 2011
- Judicial panel to probe Bihar firing - Jun 23, 2011
- Lalu Prasad gives compensation to victims of police firing - Sep 05, 2011
- JD-U rebels seek compensation for police firing victims - Jun 23, 2011
- Forbesganj firing: Senior Bihar cop in dock - Jul 09, 2011
- NHRC begins probe into Bihar police firing - Jul 21, 2011
- Probe begins into Bihar police firing deaths - Jun 04, 2011
- Punish erring police officials in communal conflicts: AIDWA - Nov 16, 2011
- Poor woman in Bihar sells child for Rs.62, cops begin probe - Jul 15, 2012
- NHRC to investigate police firing in Bihar - Jun 20, 2011
- Opposition attacks Nitish over police firing deaths - Jun 06, 2011
- Opposition blames Nitish for police firing deaths (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Bihar destitute woman is missing - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: activists, central delhi, court judge, democracy, fir, harmony, human rights, indian penal code, information report, jamia, judicial probe, june 3, lakh, month old baby, New Delhi, patna, policemen, pregnant woman, protest, solidarity