Prosecution rests in Mumbai terror trialJune 6th, 2011 - 11:48 pm ICT by IANS
Chicago, June 6 (IANS) As the prosecution Monday rested its case against Pakistan-born Canadian businessman Tahawwur Rana, who is accused of helping Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) in the Mumbai terror attack, jurors were shown his videotaped interrogation.
Roughly ten minutes of the video was played in Chicago Federal court. Rana, who had waived his rights to remain silent, spoke quietly and calmly to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and without his attorney present, ABC News reported.
On the tape, Rana has dark brown hair. Two years later, his hair and beard are both white.
Rana, who is accused of providing the cover of his immigration business to Pakistani-American terrorist David Coleman Headley for scouting targets for the Mumbai attacks, was questioned for almost six hours after his arrest Oct 18, 2009.
Some of the questioning involves Rana’s ties to Headley aka Daood Gilani, who testified about Rana’s role in attack and an attack plan on a Denmark newspaper that published cartoons of Prophet Muhammad in 2005.
Prosecutors Monday rested after calling the last of eight total witnesses in the case against Rana.
Rana’s defence attorneys now begin their case and say they’ll call witnesses, including a computer expert. Rana himself isn’t expected to testify.
- Closing arguments Tuesday in Mumbai terror trial (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Mumbai terror trial winds down Tuesday - Jun 07, 2011
- Rana a mere pawn in Headley's hands: Defence lawyers - May 26, 2011
- 'Rana, Headley were playing for the same team' - Jun 07, 2011
- Rana praised Mumbai attacks as 'brilliantly' done: Headley - May 26, 2011
- Rana held not guilty in Mumbai attacks, guilty of aiding LeT (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Pakistan's role in Mumbai attack may come out in Rana trial (Third Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Rana was 'no dupe', played for same team as Headley: Prosecution (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- ISI helped LeT in Mumbai attack: Headley (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Rana trial jury yet to reach verdict - Jun 09, 2011
- Rana cleared in Mumbai attacks, convicted of aiding LeT (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Rana jury selection faces bias against Muslims - May 18, 2011
- Rana appears in Chicago court ahead of trial - May 12, 2011
- Jury selection on in Mumbai terror trial in Chicago - May 17, 2011
- Jury selection continues in Mumbai terror trial in Chicago (Lead) - May 17, 2011
Tags: abc news, canadian businessman, cartoons of prophet muhammad, computer expert, dark brown hair, david coleman, defence attorneys, denmark newspaper, federal bureau of investigation, gilani, immigration business, interrogation, investigation fbi, jurors, lashkar e taiba, prosecution, prosecutors, rana, six hours, terror attack