Prosecution relies on Kulkarni’s statement in BMW caseJuly 2nd, 2008 - 9:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) The prosecution Wednesday relied upon a statement made by controversial eyewitness Sunil Kulkarni in the BMW hit-and-run case in which six people were killed here nine years ago. “The statement of Kulkarni cannot be brushed aside completely on the basis of some minor alterations,” said public prosecutor Rajeev Mohan before Additional Sessions Judge Vinod Kumar here. The judge was heariing the final arguments in the case relating to the 1999 accident in which Sanjeev Nanda, grandson of former navy chief Admiral S.M. Nanda, is the main accused.
Kulkarni, who also played a crucial role in a sting operation that claimed to expose an alleged nexus between former public prosecutor I.U. Khan and defence counsel R.K. Anand, had earlier given conflicting statements about the accident and the presence of Sanjeev Nanda at the accident spot.
“The undisputed portion of Kulkarni’s statements, given to the police, the magistrate and then in this court, could be relied upon to establish some facts - such as on the date of incident he was in Delhi and Kulkarni witnessed the fateful accident,” the prosecutor said.
The prosecutor said Kulkarni’s claim about his whereabouts at the time of accident stood corroborated by the testimony of an employee of a hotel where he stayed in Delhi.
The arguments will continue Thursday as well.
Nanda was allegedly driving the BMW car that mowed down six people sleeping on a pavement of Lodhi Road in the wee hours of Jan 10, 1999.
- R.K. Anand offers apology - Jan 18, 2011
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- SC upholds R K Anand's conviction, clears I U Khan in BMW case - Jul 29, 2009
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Apex court advises Nanda on courtship, wedlock - Apr 12, 2010
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- Chronology of the BMW case - Jul 20, 2009
- Court to try BMW hit-and-run case on day-to-day basis - Jun 30, 2008
- Apex court convicts senior lawyer R.K. Anand for contempt - Jul 29, 2009
- Verdict in BMW hit-and-run case to be pronounced today - Sep 02, 2008
- Sunil Kulkarni a character from Dickens' novels: Court - Sep 02, 2008
- Court to pronounce order Sep 2 in BMW hit-and-run - Aug 26, 2008
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009
- Prosecution in BMW case stresses on witness's first statement - Jul 07, 2008