Property dealer, son fire at raiding taxmen, arrestedDecember 16th, 2008 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Jalandhar, Dec 16 (IANS) A wealthy property dealer and his son from this Punjab city are cooling their heels in police custody after they fired at a team of income tax officials who raided their house and offices here, officials said Tuesday.Property dealer Yashpal Khanna and his son Rohit Khanna were arrested Monday after they surrendered.
Rohit Khanna fired at the raiding team that went to search their residence. He and his father managed to escape after firing at the raiding team and took with them important documents and money, income tax officials told police.
“We have learnt a lesson from this firing incident. In future, we will conduct such raids with police support,” Additional Joint Director of Income Tax (investigation) at Jalandhar, Abha Rani Singh, said.
Singh said the father-son duo were able to escape as the police reinforcements, called by the income tax officials, took time to reach the spot.
The Khannas were running a land development firm and dealing in properties.
The income tax team searched the home of the Khannas in the Model town locality and recovered documents showing property agreements worth Rs.80 million on a single day.
The officials also seized a rifle and Rs.650,000 in cash.
The house of Khanna’s business partner, R.K. Trivedi, was also raided and documents regarding unaccounted land transactions were recovered besides Rs.1.3 million in cash and over 7,600 Australian dollars. Trivedi later surrendered Rs.12.5 million to the officials.
Another business associate, Harish Sachdeva’s house was also searched here and cash worth Rs.1.95 million recovered along with property transaction documents. Sachdeva later surrendered over Rs.25 million to the income tax department.
- Madhya Pradesh pledges action against the corrupt (Lead) - Feb 05, 2010
- Chhattisgarh officer owns Rs.6 crore illegal property - Nov 26, 2011
- Mammootty, Mohanlal together have Rs.30 crore undisclosed income - Aug 12, 2011
- IAS couple with Rs.3 crore unaccounted cash suspended (Second Lead) - Feb 06, 2010
- Karmapa's office hands over $150,000 to ED - Mar 19, 2011
- ED issues notice to suspended Madhya Pradesh IAS couple - Jan 20, 2011
- Kanda got clean chit in 2008 assault case - Aug 25, 2012
- IT raids on Telugu film actors - Mar 23, 2011
- Cash running into millions seized - Mar 12, 2011
- Onion prices: Surveys yield over Rs.70 mn in Punjab - Jan 13, 2011
- IT raids continue for second day, foreign currency found - Feb 05, 2010
- Assets worth Rs.1 crore found with Bhopal municipal clerk - Dec 20, 2010
- Income tax raids on pharma company - May 28, 2011
- Lokayukta raids continue in Madhya Pradesh - Jan 19, 2012
- Raid yields Rs.3 crore worth assets from engineer's house - Dec 21, 2010