Property dealer arrested in DDA housing scamMarch 20th, 2009 - 11:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 20 (IANS) A Delhi-based property dealer, allegedly involved in the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) housing scam, was arrested after evading the police for about two months, police said Friday.
Suresh Kumar Meena, a resident of Shalimar Bagh in northwest Delhi, was arrested Thursday by the Economics Offences Wing (EOW) of Delhi Police from Dhaula Kuan while he was trying to take a bus to Jhunjhunu in Rajasthan, Joint Commissioner (Crime) Amulya Patnaik told reporters here.
Meena’s name surfaced during interrogation of five other persons arrested by the police earlier, said Patnaik. A non-bailable warrant was also issued against Meena in January but the police could not manage to catch him. Later, a court declared him a proclaimed offender.
With Meena’s arrest, the number of people arrested for the scam has risen to eight.
Over 500,000 people applied for 5,238 flats under the DDA housing scheme 2008 and the draw of lots was held Dec 16, but soon there were allegations that it was rigged.
The EOW started investigations after a man who was allotted a flat in the draw of lots told the police that he had not even applied for a flat. It is probing a complaint that a cartel of property dealers was trying to corner the DDA flats reserved for applicants from the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes category.
- Absconding property dealer held in DDA scam - Oct 24, 2009
- Key DDA scam financier remanded to police custody (Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- Key financer held in DDA scam - Apr 28, 2009
- DDA to allot flats in November after clean chit in scam - Oct 29, 2009
- Real estate agent held in DDA scam - May 21, 2009
- DDA may begin flat allotment process next month - Aug 27, 2009
- DDA given clean chit in housing scam - Aug 10, 2009
- DDA inquiry committee submits report on housing scam - Feb 20, 2009
- Court gives green signal to DDA to allot flats - Nov 06, 2009
- Delhi Police file chargesheet in DDA housing scam - Apr 08, 2009
- Senior police officials probing DDA scam transferred - Feb 21, 2009
- Police arrest mall owner in DDA housing scandal (Lead) - Apr 28, 2009
- Police arrest mall cashier in DDA housing scandal (Second Lead) - Apr 29, 2009
- All DDA allottees asked to file details as police probe scam - Jan 21, 2009
- Non-bailable warrants against two in DDA allotment scam - Jan 28, 2009