‘Projects worth Rs.132 bn approved for Tamil Nadu ports’October 18th, 2008 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Oct 18 (IANS) The central government has approved development projects worth Rs.132 billion for the three major ports in Tamil Nadu - Chennai, Ennore and Tuticorin - Minister for Shipping, Road and Transport T.R. Baalu said here Saturday.Speaking at an agreement signing ceremony between Ennore Port Ltd and auto major Nissan Motors (India) Pvt Ltd, he said: “The Ennore port has been allocated Rs.66 billion, Chennai Port Rs.22.47 billion and Tuticorin Rs.45.71 billion. The three ports have to act in unison to take the state of Tamil Nadu forward.
“The password for economic development is infrastructure.” The government has allocated Rs.879 billion for the port sector under the 11th plan.
The government has received development proposals worth $23 billion ($9 billion in shipping sector and $12 billion in port) under the National Maritime Development Programme, Balu added.
He said the cargo traffic through the Indian ports was expected to hit 1 billion tonnes by 2011-12 and the handling capacity should be raised accordingly.
According to S. Velumani, chairman cum managing director of Ennore Port, development works amounting Rs.27 billion have been undertaken.
Chennai Port chairman K. Suresh said the two ports - Chennai and Ennore - would ship out around 500,000 cars by 2011.
During 2007-08, 138,000 cars were shipped out of the Chennai port and in the first six months of this fiscal 117,000 cars were exported.
“In order to meet the needs of car exporters, facilities like roll on and roll off terminal with multi-level car parks are being planned,” Suresh added.
- Chennai Port capacity to be expanded with Rs.100 billion - Jan 19, 2011
- Ennore Port's three new terminals go on stream - Jan 28, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to strengthen roads for Toshiba JSW Turbine's project - Jan 12, 2012
- Tamil Nadu power unit's early start hinges on port decision - Apr 08, 2012
- Chennai Port acquires 125 acres for dry port - Sep 21, 2010
- Car exports via Ennore Port from August 2010: Vasan - Sep 18, 2009
- Toshiba to start production of turbine generators in July - Jan 22, 2011
- Chennai Port to create capacity to facilitate car exports - Feb 22, 2010
- Gail, Tidco to set up a JV power plant in Tamil Nadu - May 11, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to study LNG power project feasibility - Mar 29, 2012
- Tamil Nadu power generator to float tenders for two power projects - Jan 30, 2012
- New industrial policy soon, says Jayalalithaa - Jan 10, 2012
- Six PPP port projects to be sanctioned this year: Vasan - Feb 20, 2012
- Rao takes charge of Paradip Port - Jan 08, 2011
- India beefs up coastal security with new system - Aug 03, 2012