Prohibitory orders clamped in Orissa’s Kandhamal districtNovember 24th, 2008 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 24 (IANS) Authorities in Orissa have imposed prohibitory orders in parts of the troubled Kandhamal district Monday to thwart a rally planned by tribals.The Kui Kalyan Samittee had planned a massive rally at Parampanga village to protest alleged police atrocities against innocent tribals.
“We have clamped prohibitory orders in Daringbadi area and banned the rally as it may flare up tension in the region,” a district police official told IANS.
Prohibitory orders clamped under Section 144 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) bans gathering of four or more people at one place.
Kandhamal district, some 200 km from here, witnessed widespread communal violence following the murder of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides at his ashram Aug 23.
While police blamed Maoists for the murder, local Hindu leaders alleged Christians were behind it and launched attacks against the community.
The violence left at least 38 people dead and thousands of Christian had to flee their homes to escape the rampaging mobs. While some have returned to their homes, more than 10,000 are still living in government-run relief camps in the district.
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- 8 get three-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Sep 25, 2010
- Explosives found, blast averted in Kandhamal - Oct 19, 2011
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- Togadia to visit Kandhamal despite ban - Mar 19, 2010
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- Laxmanananda murder probe: Court slams tardy police probe - May 17, 2011
- Pravin Togadia prevented from entering Kandhamal - Mar 20, 2010
- NGO holds hearing on Orissa's anti-Christian violence - Aug 22, 2010
- Security tightened in Orissa for peaceful Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- Two get six-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Jun 30, 2010