Progress in IAEA talks on additional protocol: IndiaSeptember 19th, 2008 - 10:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 19 (IANS) India Friday underlined that global nuclear commerce will begin only after it signs the safeguards agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and said talks on an “additional protocol” with the UN watchdog were making progress. “We have begun consultations on the additional protocol (on random, intrusive inspections of safeguarded nuclear facilities by IAEA monitors). We have exchanged concepts,” Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon told reporters here.
“The director-general of IAEA has noted the substantial progress in these discussions,” he added.
“In order for them to come into effect, we have to sign a safeguards agreement with the IAEA,” Menon said when asked whether India needed to sign the safeguards pact before starting nuclear contracts with foreign companies.
“These are actions that will proceed in parallel,” he pointed out.
The negotiation of an additional protocol is one of the important commitments made by New Delhi to Washington and the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) for resuming global nuclear commerce.
- India to ink safeguards pact with IAEA - Feb 02, 2009
- India to pitch for NSG membership at Vienna meet - Feb 29, 2012
- India, IAEA sign safeguards accord (Lead) - Feb 02, 2009
- India 'reasonably optimistic' on high-tech exports - Nov 04, 2010
- France assures NSG waiver for India not undermined - Jul 01, 2011
- As fuel supplies resume, India's nuclear power output up - Jan 11, 2010
- Nothing will detract from NSG's clean waiver to India: France - Jul 05, 2011
- Belgium backs India for NSG, hopeful of India-EU trade pact (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- US says committed to n-deal, pushes India on liability law (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- IAEA informed about new N-plant in Pakistan: China - Sep 22, 2010
- India asks NSG to abide by 2008 clean waiver (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- No dilution of NPT in India n-deal: US - May 01, 2010
- India examining China-Pakistan n-deal, leaves it to NSG - May 25, 2010
- US to judge Iran's deal with IAEA on action - May 23, 2012
- Areva, NPCIL to sign deal for new reactors Wednesday - Feb 03, 2009