‘Process to reinstate high court bench in Thiruvananthapuram’September 22nd, 2008 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 22 (IANS) The process to reinstate a bench of the Kerala High Court in Thiruvananthapuram is in the final stage, Law Minister M. Vijayakumar said here Monday.The state government is waiting for the nod of the law ministry, which is seriously considering the matter following Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s intervention, Vijayakumar told IANS.
A final decision in this regard would be made immediately after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh returned from the US, Vijayakumar, who discussed the matter with Defence Minister A.K. Antony, said.
The law ministry has to put up a proposal and will present it in the cabinet and once the cabinet gives its nod, the president can issue the order, the minister said.
“Antony assured me that the issue of high court bench would be the first matter to be discussed when he meets the prime minister after the US tour,” the minister said.
Besides, Antony would also take up the issue with Law Minister H.R. Bharadwaj, he said, adding the defence minister has assured all possible help to fulfil the long-standing demand of the people of the state.
Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthananthan and Vijayakumar had raised the issue before the prime minister when they met him at his office Sep 6.
Kerala legislature has unanimously passed two resolutions to reinstate the high court in the state capital, where it functioned till 1958, the minister said.
“There was a high court in Thiruvananthapuram in 1947 and it became a high court bench following the establishment of Kerala High Court in Kochi after the formation of the state in 1956,” the minister said.
Lawyers in Thiruvananthapuram Bar Association are on strike demanding the reinstatement of the high court bench.However, Kerala High Court Chief Justice H.L. Dattu opposed the lawyers’ demand.
- Centre playing truant over high court bench: Kerala minister - Mar 02, 2010
- Lottery case: Kerala unhappy over Tamil Nadu advocate general - Oct 06, 2010
- Apex court cautions on fee waiver for poor litigants - Jul 20, 2011
- Supreme Court notice to centre, UP (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Supreme Court notice to centre, UP - Jan 30, 2012
- Kerala to hire senior lawyer for Marines case - Apr 25, 2012
- Dam row: Chandy in Delhi Thursday, likely to meet PM - Dec 01, 2011
- Security at sea will be beefed up: Antony - Feb 26, 2012
- Ayodhya case: Advani, others oppose CBI plea (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Italy moves apex court for marines' custody, government flip-flops (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Kerala assembly turns unruly over PM's visit - Feb 14, 2011
- Supreme Court permits Italian ship to leave (Second Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Karnataka battle: NDA leaders meet PM; Yeddyurappa, MLAs to meet president (Roundup) - May 16, 2011
- 2G: Supreme Court breather for Chandolia - Dec 07, 2011
- Apex court notice in Ghai land allocation case - Mar 23, 2012