Process on to deliver Zardari’s donation to Ajmer shrineJuly 30th, 2012 - 3:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) More than three months after Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari announced a donation of Rs.5 crore to the Ajmer dargah during his visit to the revered Sufi shrine, the Pakistan high commission Monday clarified that arrangements are being made to fulfill the pledge.
“Arrangements are in hand to make the donation as announced by the president of Pakistan,” a spokesperson of the Pakistan high commission said here.
“The High Commission thanks the government of India, the state authorities, and the Dargah committees for their cooperation in this regard,” the spokesperson said.
During his day-long visit to India April 8, Zardari, besieged by a host of domestic crises back home, pledged a donation of Rs.5 crore at the revered shrine of sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chisty when he visited Ajmer for a few hours.
There was some disillusionment among managers of the shrine when the promised money did not reach the dargah even months after such a pledge was made. The high commission’s clarification came in the wake of media reports that quoted a dargah committee official as saying that the head of an Islamic state has failed to fulfill his words before this revered shrine.
Zardari had also proposed assistance for some development projects at the shrine by the dargah committee (a government recognized body) and Anjuman Syed Zadgan committee (of hereditary khadims). The proposals included construction of an old-age home, a 100-bed hospital and a new building of Darul Uloom (Islamic seminary).
According to reports, Zardari had asked the Anjuman Syed Zadgan Committee to “get in touch with Pakistan High Commission” for release of the grant.
- Zardari donation will be for 'noble causes': Ajmer dargah (With Image) - Apr 09, 2012
- Ajmer shrine finally receives Zardari's $1 mn donation - Aug 18, 2012
- The journey to Ajmer Sharif - from Akbar to Zardari - Apr 05, 2012
- Zardari prays at Ajmer dargah, donates $1mn (Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- Ajmer shrine authorities mum on Zardari visit - Apr 03, 2012
- Zardari prays at Ajmer Sharif, donates $ 1m - Apr 08, 2012
- Precious gifts, special prayers for Zardaris at Ajmer shrine (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Silver rings, bracelets for the Zardaris at Ajmer shrine - Apr 07, 2012
- 'Bilawal is like Rahul Gandhi' - Apr 08, 2012
- Keep windows shut, shops closed: Ajmer residents told - Apr 08, 2012
- Tight security in place in Delhi, Ajmer for Zardari visit - Apr 07, 2012
- Ajmer agog with impending Zardari visit - Apr 08, 2012
- President Zardari returns home after Indian pilgrimage - Apr 08, 2012
- 3,000 cops deployed at Ajmer shrine - Apr 07, 2012
- Ahead of Zardari visit, Ajmer's khadims remember Benazir - Apr 08, 2012
Tags: ajmer dargah, anjuman, asif ali zardari, chisty, clarification, crore, darul uloom, development projects, disillusionment, domestic crises, government of india, islamic seminary, islamic state, khadims, New Delhi, pakistan high commission, president of pakistan, spokesperson, state authorities, sufi saint