Probe rights abuses, CPI-M tells ColomboAugust 7th, 2011 - 9:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 7 (IANS) The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Sunday asked Sri Lanka to probe the “serious allegations” of rights abuses by its military in the war against the Tamil Tigers.
A statement issued after its central committee meeting here also called Colombo to devolve autonomy to Tamil areas in Sri Lanka’s north and east.
“Though two years have passed since the end of the armed conflict, the Sri Lankan government has not taken any worthwhile steps to reach a political settlement on the Tamil question.
“It is essential that specific measures are taken for the devolution of autonomy to the Tamil-speaking areas … so that the Tamil people can live a life of dignity and as equal citizens within a united Sri Lanka.”
The CPI-M also asked Colombo to step up efforts to rehabilitate all those displaced by the conflict that ended in May 2009 when the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) was crushed.
“The serious allegations of atrocities and human rights violation by the armed forces should be enquired into by a high level independent enquiry.”
- Probe 'atrocities', CPI-M tells Sri Lanka - Mar 19, 2012
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Probe Sri Lanka killings, CPI-M says - Mar 13, 2012
- NSA to go to Colombo, voice India's concerns - Jun 25, 2012
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa discuss Tamil refugees, devolution (Second Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Rajapaksa assures Krishna of power-devolution to Tamils - Jan 17, 2012
- Gotabaya Rajapaksa hits out at Jayalalithaa - Aug 08, 2011
- Ensure safety of Sri Lankans in India: Amnesty - Sep 06, 2012
- India, Sri Lanka to discuss Tamil settlement, sign pacts - Jun 08, 2010
- Don't link critics to LTTE, Sri Lanka told - Mar 15, 2012
- India for probe into rights abuses in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Sri Lanka admits civilian deaths during separatist war - Aug 02, 2011
- Only Colombo can resolve Tamil problems: Malaysian MPs - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: armed conflict, armed forces, atrocities, autonomy, central committee, committee meeting, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, devolution, dignity, human rights violation, independent enquiry, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, political settlement, rights abuses, serious allegations, sri lankan government, tamil tigers