Probe poor quality work at new schools: BadalFebruary 10th, 2011 - 1:34 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 10 (IANS) Taking serious note of the poor quality of construction work and the use of sub-standard furniture in all the 21 new model schools established under a centrally-sponsored scheme in Punjab, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal Wednesday ordered an inquiry into the matter.Badal has sought action against the erring officers and contractors for the alleged irregularities. The decision was taken by Badal in a meeting with the principals of these schools here Wednesday.
Director General of School Education Krishan Kumar, along with the principals, informed the chief minister about the poor quality of construction and the sub-standard material used in the buildings.
Badal asked his principal secretary D.S. Guru to personally look into these complaints and take strict action.
Badal lamented the misutilization of public funds during the construction of these school buildings. He directed senior officials of state government construction agencies to visit all the schools and get the entire construction work redone as per the norms.
Out of the 21 model schools, the construction work of 12 schools had been allotted to the state’s Public Works Department (PWD) and nine to the Punjab Urban Development Authority (PUDA).
- Over 400 centrally-funded roads found defective in Chhattisgarh - Mar 03, 2011
- Punjab to launch card for NRIs - Jul 30, 2012
- 13 injured in school room wall collapse - Sep 14, 2011
- Punjab to recruit 10,810 school teachers - Aug 24, 2009
- Fix responsible for lapses, Himachal court tells official - Nov 18, 2011
- Akhilesh wants to bring Lucknow, Delhi closer - Mar 21, 2012
- Congress walks out of Chhattisgarh assembly - Jul 28, 2010
- Development work to be videographed in UP - Mar 24, 2012
- New nameplate reflects Writers' Buildings' historic change - May 21, 2011
- No sub-standard material used in foot overbridge: Report - Nov 02, 2010
- Rush to complete Games work compromising quality? - Sep 05, 2010
- British supplier told to give view on Games bridge collapse - Nov 03, 2010
- Fine firms delaying street light installation: Minister - Jun 02, 2010
- 345 rural roads found substandard in Chhattisgarh - Dec 09, 2010
- CBI charge sheet against Uttar Pradesh ex-minister - May 31, 2012
Tags: chandigarh, chief minister, construction work, government construction, irregularities, krishan, model schools, new model, poor quality, principal secretary, punjab urban development authority, pwd, quality work, redone, school buildings, school education, senior officials, standard furniture, strict action, urban development authority