Probe Orissa shootout, BJP tells NHRCApril 29th, 2011 - 12:38 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 29 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Orissa has moved the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) for a probe into the killing of two of its members as Maoists by police last year, a party leader said Friday.
Alleging it was a staged shootout, the opposition party sought action against the policemen and officials involved.
A party team, including BJP leaders Bhupinder Yadav and Rajya Sabha MP Rudra Narayan Pani, met NHRC member Justice G.P. Mathur at the NHRC office in Delhi Thursday.
“We requested him for a high-level inquiry into the incident,” Rudra Narayan Pani, a member of the team, told IANS over phone from Delhi.
He said the family members of the deceased had also accompanied the BJP team and produced evidence to show the two were not linked with any Maoist activity and were innocent.
Madhav Singh Thakur and Ramesh Sahu were killed Dec 26 at the Gandhamardan Hill area in Bargarh district. Police claimed the two were Maoists and killed in an exchange of fire.
But Gandhamardan Suraksha Yuva Parishad (GSYP), a local organisation, and the BJP refuted the claim and said both were members of their organisations.
The BJP, GSYP and affiliated groups have been demanding a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe saying both were killed in a fake encounter because they were opposing mining in the region.
- Orissa rights panel seeks report on shoot-out deaths - Jan 04, 2011
- Shutdown by anti-mining group hits life in Orissa - Jan 03, 2011
- Widows seek justice for 'fake encounter' deaths in Orissa - Jan 27, 2011
- Orissa BJP leader, businessman killed, families cry foul - Dec 30, 2010
- Orissa forest guard shot dead by Maoists - Sep 19, 2011
- Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support - Jul 15, 2012
- Rajya Sabha adjourned for the day - Aug 01, 2011
- Amid sloganeering, Chidambaram participates in Question Hour - Dec 14, 2011
- Orissa Maoist leader arrested with arms - Mar 05, 2011
- Eight of family killed as van skids into canal - Oct 30, 2010
- Top Odisha Maoist leader held (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Congress seeks CBI probe into Chhattisgarh killings - Jul 02, 2012
- Four NGO workers held for duping Bihar farmers, students - Mar 15, 2011
- Lone surviving cop of Maoist attack seeks revenge - Jun 06, 2011
- NHRC begins probe into Bihar police firing - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp leaders, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, district police, human rights commission, maoist, maoists, mathur, narayan, national human rights commission, opposition party, orissa, party leader, rajya sabha, ramesh, rudra, sahu, thakur, yadav